PDA

View Full Version : whats going on?

GCB REEFER 1
10/11/2014, 06:05 PM
woke up this morning to a cloudy tank. The water has always been crystal clear until now. I did the course of water test and all is well there. I did a 30g water change today in a 75g tank hoping that it would help. No change. I have a 55g tank below helping with the filtration. It has been 8 hrs. since water change and still cloudy. Things in the tank don't look to happy bout it. I am worried, any ideas?

oscarinw
10/11/2014, 07:53 PM
To get a good idea, please let us know:

Age of the system
Inhabitants
Setup description (Equipment, Rock, Sand, etc)
Maintenance description

Has there been any smell and is the skimmer doing anything different?
Finally, are all inhabitants accounted for?

GCB REEFER 1
10/11/2014, 09:01 PM
Bought the thank 6 mo. ago. it had been established for 5 years prior. When I got it there was about 50 pounds of rock and a crushed coral bottom. There were two maxi jet 600 and a under gravel filter. I added bout 60 pounds of rock, got rid of the under gravel filter and added 3 bags of sand to mix with crushed coral. I replaced one maxi jet with a hydor1500. I added a 55g tank below with a skimmer, rock and sand, micro greens. IM using a eco 633 submersible for my return. I have two pearl eyed clowns, green crommis, a sally lightfoot, hermits, nasarius, 3 turbos, mushrooms, frog spawn, 3 zoe colonies, and a blue carpet. So far all is well with survival. things were shrunk up today. I have been doing bout 50% water change monthly. There is no smell to the tank, the skimmer crud stinks when u clean it. I cleaned it this morning and it is half full already with a lighter and thinner than normal collection.

oscarinw
10/13/2014, 04:19 PM
My only guess is it could be related to the mixture of the sand and the crushed coral. The flow will change and might produce some choking at some level of the bottom. Sometimes, cloudiness just comes with a bacterial bloom and is not necessarily dangerous although a bacterial population bloom will potentially deplete your water of oxygen so it's important to keep an eye on the behavior of the fish and have a well stirred bucket of saltwater should you need to come to the rescue.
I hope things are better already