PDA

View Full Version : A fish or shrimp that will eat mushrooms?

bhbbhb
10/12/2014, 09:44 PM
I have some nice pieces of live rock that unfortunately are infested with mushrooms. I'd like to keep the live rocks and remove the mushrooms. I can place these rocks into a separate tank. Any suggestions on what might like to eat them?
Any experience would be appreciated.
Bruce

ichthyogeek
10/12/2014, 09:48 PM
Mushroom anemones? or mushroom corals? or mushroom fungi :)?

I see no reason why you would want to get rid of the mushroom anemones, but as far as I know, nothing actually eats mushroom anemones. Certain blennies eat mucus off of corals, which might stress the anemones into dying...but as far as direct consumption, none that I know of. Here's a similar thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574964

Xavibear
10/13/2014, 06:07 AM
Post a pic of your mushrooms.

bhbbhb
10/13/2014, 02:47 PM
Picture of what they look like is attached.

Thanks for your input

Bruce

AdamD76
10/13/2014, 03:03 PM
I personally would just trade them at your LPS for some more rocks.
Or you could put them at the top of your tank and try to melt them off with high lighting. I lost quite a few shrooms and Zoas when I moved my LR around last year and switched to better LEDs.

Xavibear
10/13/2014, 03:19 PM
Trade or sell the rocks with a local reefer.

inigomontoya
10/13/2014, 03:36 PM
A butterfly might, but then it wouldn't be reef safe for anything else later. Someone will be excited about all those mushrooms, sell or trade for new live rock +$

ichthyogeek
10/13/2014, 04:04 PM
I would be very excited if I had rocks like those. If you really don't want the mushrooms, I would suggest treating them like aiptasia. Kalk'em, lemon juice'em, and scrape 'em off the rock (in no particular order). That seems to work for most sessile pests. The mushrooms will melt if suddenly put under intense lighting; my first mushroom anemone died because I replaced the single strip light, with 4 T5's and a MH light...

LakeGirl
10/13/2014, 05:37 PM
Why not just run them in your separate tank in the dark for a few weeks at 80 degrees and start over? You already have the space? Do you have a skimmer for that one?

oscarinw
10/13/2014, 06:41 PM
I'll ship you a nice piece of dry rock in exchange for that mushroom covered one... If that sounds reasonable of course...