PDA

View Full Version : Fish suggestions

brett559
10/13/2014, 11:39 AM
I have a 90g tank, 2' x 3' x 2'. Everyone is doing well. I have two true percs hosting in a bubble tip, a foxface, a yellow tang, a blonde naso tang and a coral beauty. Don't waste your time calling the tang police - the naso is small and will be re-homed when she gets too big.

What other fish do you recommend? I've got lots of yellow (foxface, yellow tang, blode naso) in the tank already. I'd like some blues and reds. I've thought about a small blue tang (again, to be re-homed eventually). A little yellow-tail damsel? Not sure I'm if up to take care of a green mandarin (although they are beautiful).

Any suggestions?

thegrun
10/13/2014, 01:23 PM
Too many tangs in too small a tank already, but you know that already so why ask?

brett559
10/13/2014, 02:13 PM
That actually wasn't what I asked. Why reply then?

MMacro
10/13/2014, 02:17 PM
Don't keep getting tangs. Even if you find them a new home it is still very stressful on the fish. I love my african midas blenny (the fish in my pic). Other good fish would be a watchman goby, reef safe wrasses, and blennies.

brett559
10/13/2014, 02:20 PM
Reeferplax, given the size of your tank, what else do you have?

Lucky Lefty
10/13/2014, 02:24 PM
No one here is going to suggest fish to you based on what colors look cool together.
youre asking a forum of (mostly)serious enthusiasts who care more about the health and well being of the animals than aesthetic value (although both very close in value, the former always wins) and are just going to recommend downsizing what you al ready have.
That being said, just look around and get what you like that is compatible if you want more fish.
I recently saw a "war paint" goby, or what is commonly referred to as green clown goby. Might give you variation in colors.

MMacro
10/13/2014, 02:35 PM
Reeferplax, given the size of your tank, what else do you have?

I have a midas blenny, green chromis, neon velvet damsel, an onyx clownfish pair, a tiny false perc clownfish, a diamond watchman goby, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a blood red cleaner shrimp, a RBTA, and corals. I agree with lucky and grun though. Get rid of the tangs and foxface asap.

Aussieiniowa
10/13/2014, 02:50 PM
Anthias might make the tank pop say lrytails the Orange peach is different and a small school for highier water swimming ps it ain't a tang�� stupid tang police��. Or a wrasse that won't bug your tangs..... But I really think a anithias of some sort is a good direction and they are carnivores not another algae eater I believe but snorik is the best knowledge guy to fish p.s every fish has its own mind thou

AquaFrenzy
10/13/2014, 02:53 PM
gotta love the goby's! I have an algea blenny that thinks he can square off with my dog who tries to police the tank, its funny to watch him swim up and stare at him lol. Im not sure but I thought I ran across that tangs of different species tend to fight? don't quote me, maybe look into it though. Mandarin goby are beautiful I agree, if I were to get one I would make sure it eats other food instead of copepods incase he eats them, most good fish stores are good at getting them to eat other things and will show you before you buy.

brett559
10/13/2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks. My kids really like the fox and tangs, so I can't give them up. Thanks for the suggestions.

MMacro
10/13/2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks. My kids really like the fox and tangs, so I can't give them up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Do what would be better for the fish. Not what looks better/is more enjoyable.

frayedend
10/13/2014, 05:49 PM
Question... I have a one spot foxface in a 90. Everything I e read said he is okay. Is he not? Or is it just the larger foxface? What type does the op have

frayedend
10/13/2014, 05:55 PM
Oh and op I don't want to be known as tang police either. I'm new to the hobby. But I've read a lot. It's not the size of the tang so much as the swim habits. Even small tangs swim a lot of distance. If the tank is too small then they get stressed. It's not healthy for the fish and eventually a stressed fish dies. Maybe even become hostile to other fish first. The thing is if you do things wrong you end up losing fish and eventually giving up do you lose a lot of money too. It's not worth it to do it wrong. How will the kids feel when your overstocked tank gets an ammonia spike and everything dies? I've seen a lot of threads on different forums describing exactly that.

dalfed
10/13/2014, 05:59 PM
A 90 is four feet long the op's tank is only 3, might as well be a 30 gallon as far as swimming room goes. My 240 gallon is a 4 foot cube and as such I can not keep the same large fish that an 8 foot 240 gallon can house.