PDA

View Full Version : Secure corals/frag plugs to live rock in water

aiq25
10/13/2014, 12:50 PM
Hello. I'm new to keeping corals and had a question. How can I secure corals and frag plugs to live rock? I saw posts where people say they use epoxy or super glue. Is there is a certain kind/brand that is recommend? Also, can I glue or epoxy under water? Thank You.

jayball
10/13/2014, 01:07 PM
I use 2 part epoxy putty, just a little, with superglue on either side

94lsxs10
10/13/2014, 01:11 PM
I've been using JB Weld WaterWeld. http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-waterweld/

Mark9
10/13/2014, 01:19 PM
Super glue gel, Dollar store, 2 tubes for a buck.
Any frag I buy, I "closely" and I mean closely, inspect for pests, pop it off the plug and glue onto a rock.
I have dipped, but generally now just put new corals into the qt.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314VKaqNsBL.jpg

aiq25
10/13/2014, 01:23 PM
What do you dip the corals in? They are currently in my QT tank, so I didn't dip them.

Also, I have two plug of zoa's and one plug with paly, is there a easy way to remove them from the disks or should I just try to cut off the stem?

Sk8r
10/13/2014, 03:59 PM
THere are dips like Coral RX etc, that kill pests. QT is generally for fish, though keeping dipped zoas in a qt for a week is not a bad idea, in case pest eggs hatch.

Re your palys---they're hazardously toxic. Wear gloves and goggles while handling them and if you cut them do not let water from that cutting come near the tank, plus run carbon in the tank to be sure their chemical is absorbed and not annoying other corals. Dispose of all water used in the process and wash any tools used. Frankly, rather than tick off palys, I'd just leave it on the plug. They're a real nice coral, but they do have that drawback. Running carbon while you have them in the tank is not a bad practice.

HeavyWater247
10/13/2014, 05:09 PM
putty/superglue ... this is the method I use when I need to secure a non-flat shape needs to be secured together...putty/superglue are spot on. I did find that the superglue gel adheres a lot better than the plain super glue. If the two surfaces look like they will sit together somewhat flatly, the super glue gel is more than enough, or if it's a really small area that needs to be secured.