PDA

View Full Version : New Skimmer Needed

Skim
10/13/2014, 03:16 PM
Hi guys, I am looking for some onions on a couple of skimmers. I have a 60X18X24 tank some call 100Gal and some say 112Gal. I guess its if you use Imp. or US Gal. but close enough. I have a BM curve 9 now and find that it is noisy and its too tight in sump to clean( big pain to take in and out ) and I also find its overkill.
This is what I am looking for and these are the 2 units I am looking at.

Vertex Omega 150

Reef Octopus Prime 150 Int.

1. unit to be quiet.

2. unit to produce a more consistent foam. ( hopefully being a smaller skimmer).

3. easy in and out from sump.

Like to hear from those who run or have run these 2 skimmers and hear the Good the Bad and Ugly.

Thanks

Mike

Skuba
10/13/2014, 03:45 PM
I just upgraded to a omega 130, definitely top quality build n silent. Only cons were it's a big footprint and took time
To dial in. But the cup unscrewing is a nice feature I gotta admit.

chri
10/13/2014, 06:10 PM
omega will do the trick

Skim
10/13/2014, 08:05 PM
My main concern with the Omega is the Impeller. Have they fixed the problem of coming apart?

jkubec
10/15/2014, 09:08 AM
I am looking into this right now as well and heard very good things about the Avast CS1. About the same price point of the Omega or the Prime.

Skim
10/15/2014, 07:30 PM
Well I end up getting the Omega 150 because that's just what was in stock, I was leaning towards the 150 Prime because I like the fact the mixing tube was shorter so water opened up into the cone fast which would have less turbulence and more of the skimmer body would be used which would me more contact time. It seems to working well and I must admit its hard to tell its running, it is quiet. I was not impressed that I had some broken pieces in the box and from what I see on videos and read this is quite common. Not packaged well.
I still may order the Prime 150 and compare the two. I wish there was more info or hands on info on the Prime 150.