PDA

View Full Version : (Hopefully) Dream tank in the making

fischcrazy
10/13/2014, 07:21 PM
I am currently setting up a new reef system using a Red Sea C-250L tank and am reaaly in need of some advice after 10 years of battling algae in old systems (story after specs)
Tank:
Red Sea C-250L (65gal)
Red Sea 80gph skimmer (in kit)
2 x 200L/H pumps (11gph total)
4 Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps 600gph from old system ( run like a 70 year old chainsmoker blowing out birthday candles after 1 year of use)
All 6 pumps are on a hydor koralis smartwave pump controller at 30min intervals
6 x 39w T-5 HO (2 actinic, 2 blue white, one pink)
70lbs live rock
80lbs sand bed (20lbs crushed coral, 60 aragonite live sand) ~4in sandbed
2 carbon bags
2 filter sponges

This system has been up and running for 24 hours as is.
My previous set up was a 55gal LPS/ Softie reef and like all of my other set ups, after 6 months bryopsis was out of control and completely unmanageable, even with around 4-5 3in fish in tank. I have been keeping saltwater aquariums on and off for the last 10 years and always give up hope due to horrible bryopsis blooms that last for years, when I sell of my coral and fish, break down my system, and have enogh money to begin again.
The last tank I broke down was due to a whole home remodel that started in February and just finish a month ago. I am fully ready to start again and this time I am ready to do whatever is necessary to keep my tank running for as long as I am physically able.
All that is left over from my previous system is a saddleback clownfish and a black sailfin blenny I kept in a friend of mines 20gal saltwater tank.
Any advice on the following goals is very appreciated

My main goals with this tank are:
1)to have a thriving reef system, using coral color and texture to juxtapose one another using a “color wheel” theory to create a soothing visual experience
-would appreciate ideas on coral color/ texture combos
- allow no aggressive fish in system (aware of clownfish problem)
2) no nuisance algae outbreaks (like every other systems I have ever had) what I will do to try to combat this are:
- preform weekly 10% WC as I have always done
- ABSOLUTELY ONLY Ro/Di water will enter my tank
-Purchase Phosphate Reactor
- Utilize various species (as usual) of non-calcareous macro algaes to combat free phosphates
- Should I keep carbon pads? (source of phosphate)
3)Learn how to keep SPS corals
-had one birdsnest frag years ago, died quickly
-have had no issues keeping LPS and Softies healthy, just no luck w SPS

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am attaching pics of setup.
Thank You!

fischcrazy
10/13/2014, 07:23 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/fischcrazy/20141013_183304_zpsf83bf1a6.jpg

Eric45
10/14/2014, 09:04 AM
If you've always had algae issues and can't grow sps, my guess is you're just feeding more than your system can take up -- too much PO and probably nitrate -- regardless of what the tests say. Cut you're feeding by half and wait three months. You'll see the difference.