PDA

View Full Version : Blenny not looking good after Prazi

lee_d_m
10/15/2014, 03:34 AM
Hi,

I dosed my display yesterday with PraziPro, following the recommended dosage and instructions (skimmer off, carbon removed).

Almost instantly, my Midas Blenny, whom I've had for nearly a year started going nuts, swimming erratically and rubbing his gills on the rocks.

I assumed this was the flukes dieing.

All other fish were fine (my flasher wrasse, did go pale and lethargic for 30 minutes but he's fine now).

After about 1 hour, my blenny has been lying on the sandbed next to a rock, with fast breathing. He is still there now, which has been 22 hours since the treatment.

His colour is ok, a little dark but I've seen him worse.

My question is, is there anything I can do to help him, or should I just leave him alone and let nature takes it's course.

I do have a fully cycled QT I could put him in as an option.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions

Thanks

Lee

Newsmyrna80
10/15/2014, 05:51 AM
You are correct in your assumption. The Prazi causes the fluke to spasm and its hooks are releasing the fish. Did you notice a lot of little flakes floating around after you dosed the Prazi? A fish that is inidated with flukes will react the same as your Blenny. If he's sitting upright on the sand bottom I would leave him. If he's lying on his side I would take him out. Also be prepared to dose antibiotics (in a HT of course) as secondary bacterial infections are common with flukes.

lee_d_m
10/15/2014, 06:17 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

His current status is the same, he's not laying completely on his side, but he's not completely upright either, kind of like a ship that's leaning to one side. His colour is still pretty good though, some slight darkening but nothing major.

I think I'll leave him be for now, he's not getting any worse as far as I can see and the water quality in my DT is far better than it's going to be in my HT.

If I was to put him in my HT, what would you advise as to treatment ?

As an aside, my McCoskers has started acting weirdly again. Going pale and laying down for a while, and then back to normal. Are these fish particularly sensitive to CP ? I didn't notice this guy showing any of the signs that my blenny exhibited so I'm struggling to figure out what's up with him.

Thanks

Lee

Dmorty217
10/15/2014, 08:27 AM
Are these fish particularly sensitive to CP ?

Do you mean PP or CP? Chloroquine phosphate shouldn't be used in addition to PP. Use one then the other. Wrasse are the only fish that seem to be more sensitive to CP

lee_d_m
10/15/2014, 08:39 AM
Do you mean PP or CP? Chloroquine phosphate shouldn't be used in addition to PP. Use one then the other. Wrasse are the only fish that seem to be more sensitive to CP

Hi, sorry, I meant PP as in Prazi, I haven't used any CP.

As of now, my McCoskers went crazy for about 30 seconds and has now disappeared, really doesn't look good for him,

I've moved my Midas Blenny to my HT, he was still wriggling around when I picked him up, so I guess there's hope.

As another aside, my RBTA doesn't look great, not fully inflated as normal, and my Stylo has had its polyps retracted since I dosed.

It's all a bit worrying to be honest, I'm trying hard to let it run it's course but I'm tempted to throw in some carbon and do a big WC.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Lee

lee_d_m
10/15/2014, 10:04 AM
One bit of good news, McCoskers has just re-surfaced and looks absolutely fine, swimming around as normal and eating as well......this is all a bit strange....

Newsmyrna80
10/15/2014, 11:10 AM
Good news on the wrasse. As stated wrasses can be sensitive to Prazi. As far as the Blenny have you done a FW dip to confirm flukes?

lee_d_m
10/15/2014, 11:48 AM
I haven't..I must admit, it completely slipped my mind. If he recovers in HT, I will certainly dip him prior to returning to DT.

In regards to my anemone, is it common to see this also be affected by PP ?

Thanks

Lee

Newsmyrna80
10/15/2014, 01:59 PM
I have only dosed in a QT so I can't say. I do know that some Xenia were really ticked off for a while but they recovered:( There are threads on this forum where people have dosed the main and corals did come back after a few days.

lee_d_m
10/18/2014, 12:36 PM
So it's been 3 days since the PP treatment.

My blenny is still in the HT and looks ok although he is still not eating.
He's laying on the bottom of the tank and moves around from time to time.

He looks alert and his colour is ok, breathing is still relatively fast but not as bad as before.

Tonight, I caught him rubbing his gills again and looking agitated. I don't know whether this is still the effect of the PP or if something else is bothering him.

Would like some opinions as to what to do, if anything, I plan on doing a 30% WC in the HT tomorrow, but not sure if there's anything else I should be doing to try to help him

Thanks

Lee

Newsmyrna80
10/18/2014, 07:39 PM
Have you measured ammonia? Other than that there's not much you can do until symptoms present...unless you can do a skin scrape. But given that this fish is so stressed I would just be sure to keep his water very clean, aerated and observe.

lagatbezan
10/18/2014, 11:40 PM
Prazipro tends to lower oxygen levels so make sure you have an air stone or a powerhead pointed to the surface of water for air exchange.

lee_d_m
10/19/2014, 01:39 AM
Ok, thanks people. Just to clarify, there's no PP in my HT, the HT is a 24 US gal tank with live rock and a HOB filter and an air stone. I have 2 seachem ammonia alert disks both of which read zero and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 2.5.

I'll leave him be for now as you suggest, to look at him, you wouldn't think he was sick so maybe he just needs time to recover.

Thanks

Newsmyrna80
10/19/2014, 11:47 AM
I personally do not trust those badges. I've had them read 0 and then tested and there was ammonia but that's just my experience. Has he started eating yet?

lee_d_m
10/19/2014, 11:52 AM
No, still not eating. Still laying on the bottom of the tank, but he does shuffle around from time to time.

Breathing is still a bit fast, but is maybe getting a touch better, it's difficult to tell really.

I will do an Ammonia test to be sure, but I have no reason to think I would have any filtration issues, the HT has been running for a few months with 10kg of live rock, I've only used prazi in this tank and removed it with carbon and water changes a while back.

Thanks

Lee

lee_d_m
10/19/2014, 12:38 PM
Just tested with a Salifert ammonia test kit and it's reading zero.

So next question, assuming I might be dealing with a bacterial infection in the gills, what product would be looking at to treat with.

I have some Seachem metro available right now, but it's not clear on their web-site if this treats something like this, any thoughts ?

Thanks

Lee

Newsmyrna80
10/19/2014, 05:57 PM
I personally would not throw any meds in there unless I had a definite diagnosis. Can you post a pic?

lee_d_m
10/23/2014, 03:23 PM
quick upate. Blenny has now eaten a couple of flakes and is moving around a bit. Still hasn't found a hole in the rock but is looking better. touch wood he is going to pull through, he's a tough little fella !

Newsmyrna80
10/24/2014, 06:22 AM
Good news!!!