PDA

View Full Version : QT suggestions?

cncguy
10/15/2014, 11:18 AM
I'm setting up a quarantine tank mostly for new fish as I've never had one, but thanks to the $1/gal sale, I do now!!! Medication, heater, filter, etc., should be here this week. Medications I will have are Prazipro, Cupramine, Melafix, and Primafix. My question is about my panther grouper that I hope makes it til then. He hasn't eaten in at least a month easily, and is definitely too skinny, swimming slow, and fins seems to be slowly deteriorating. No notable spots on him that I have seen. I'm hoping it's not too late, but any advice, and which medication(s) would be the best start?

shesacharmer
10/15/2014, 12:51 PM
You bought a 300 gallon fish for your 90 gallon tank and didn't have a quarantine tank? Oh dear. Please read the stickies at the top of the forum. I fear your Grouper is in for a hard time.

cncguy
10/15/2014, 01:10 PM
I was hoping to get advice not bashed. I am well aware he can't live here forever. He was a gift over a year ago, is still an acceptable size for the tank, and will be leaving when he does get too big. Any advice on what to medicate?

tigerjace
10/15/2014, 01:10 PM
It sounds that it might be too late and medication may just speed up the inevitable. But i understand the attempt, i would do the same. I do not know exactly what is wrong with your fish but if I had to aim in the dark and pick a medicine, I would probably go with prazipro since it is extremely safe and affective for what it treats I would go with that. That's just me, I'm sure there are other opinions and mine maybe an incorrect one. Good luck to you.

cncguy
10/15/2014, 01:12 PM
thanks tiger

wooden_reefer
10/15/2014, 01:22 PM
I'm setting up a quarantine tank mostly for new fish as I've never had one, but thanks to the $1/gal sale, I do now!!! Medication, heater, filter, etc., should be here this week. Medications I will have are Prazipro, Cupramine, Melafix, and Primafix. My question is about my panther grouper that I hope makes it til then. He hasn't eaten in at least a month easily, and is definitely too skinny, swimming slow, and fins seems to be slowly deteriorating. No notable spots on him that I have seen. I'm hoping it's not too late, but any advice, and which medication(s) would be the best start?

First Qt is absolutely needed.

Second, has your grouper ever eaten well under your care?

If a fish used to eat well but now don't, the chance of an internal pathogen gaining on the fish is high.

I always treat against internal parasites via food as a part of QT while the fish eats well.

If a fish never ate well, then it is a matter failure to adapt. Treatment in water is an attempt, as marine fish drink water.

cncguy
10/15/2014, 01:32 PM
Yes, he used to eat well

shesacharmer
10/15/2014, 02:57 PM
Melafix and Pimafix have worked well for me in FW but not so much in SW. Prazipro is for internal parasites (not Ich) and Cupramine is for Ich. What you describe as fin deterioration sounds like an antibiotic would be in order but I don't know which one to suggest to you. Perhaps one of the experts will chime in.

tigerjace
10/15/2014, 04:04 PM
A good picture would help greatly.

cncguy
10/15/2014, 04:54 PM
I will try to post a pic shortly