PDA

View Full Version : Hooking a qt tank to a display

Mebbid
10/15/2014, 01:48 PM
When I am qting fish I really am only really worried about prevention of parasites in my tank. I was wondering if anyone thought of hooking a qt tank up to a display and using a diatom filter after the return pump.

It it small enough to capture both ich and marine velvet so they shouldnt be able to migrate to the display through it.

The benefit to this is you shouldnt have to worry about controlling nutrients and worrying about ammonia spikes.

CuzzA
10/15/2014, 02:01 PM
I think that contradicts the concept of qt. Maybe a high quality uv would be a solution, of course there's still no guarantee. Either way I wouldn't risk it. Hell our govt with unlimited money and resources can't even qt an Ebola patient properly, so to rely on hobby equipment is asking for trouble.

ridetheducati
10/15/2014, 02:02 PM
What about other pathogens that are smaller than a diatom filter?

igot2gats
10/15/2014, 02:19 PM
I think that contradicts the concept of qt.

This.

If you ever have any disease at all, your DT would be affected.

Dduval
10/15/2014, 03:17 PM
Hell our govt with unlimited money and resources can't even qt an Ebola patient properly, so to rely on hobby equipment is asking for trouble.

I actually think our hobby eq. would do a better job than the govt... :p

Indymann99
10/15/2014, 03:20 PM
I actually think our hobby eq. would do a better job than the govt... :p

Anyone with common sense can do better than our current government...

ca1ore
10/15/2014, 03:23 PM
When I am qting fish I really am only really worried about prevention of parasites in my tank. I was wondering if anyone thought of hooking a qt tank up to a display and using a diatom filter after the return pump.

It it small enough to capture both ich and marine velvet so they shouldnt be able to migrate to the display through it.

The benefit to this is you shouldnt have to worry about controlling nutrients and worrying about ammonia spikes.

I would put that in the 'bad idea' camp. You will almost certainly not trap every single parasite and regret the choice. FWIW, nutrient buildup is incidental in a fish QT, and ammonia is managed pretty easily with a little planning and vigilance.

CuzzA
10/15/2014, 04:07 PM
Ebola Hobby Quarantine. "Sorry buddy, you're going to be in there a while, so do me a favor and keep the glass clean. Thanks" :lolspin:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah183/CuzzaBay/380627d7158389c9880413f49eac4d43_zpse347935e.jpg

wooden_reefer
10/15/2014, 04:38 PM

No matter how you hook up you cannot escape from the fact that the UV and the diatom filter when operated in a batch mode will only reduce or vastly reduce waterborne concentration of pathogens.

The diatom filter when properly charged is effective in reducing ich concentration and thus slowing the progress of ich. It will not eradicate ich, it is limited in capacity and is a PITA to recharge every 1-2 weeks. Effective antibodies are not developed for ich.

The UV is effective in vastly reducing waterborne bacterial pathogens and is hence useful before antibodies are developed. A uv sized for bacteria will not have much impact on ich.

The QT must be separate from DT. Avoid contamination before eradication.

The benefit you mentioned is moot. There should never be ammonia in QT, as it is in DT, if you had cycled the medium for QT very well in advance, unless a drug that harms nitrification bacteria will have to be used, almost always an antibiotic against bacterial infection.

Tradewinds
10/15/2014, 05:29 PM
The risk outweighs any possible benefit.

ridetheducati
10/15/2014, 07:57 PM
Anyone with common sense can do better than our current government...

Common is not so common.

Mebbid
10/16/2014, 09:37 AM
No matter how you hook up you cannot escape from the fact that the UV and the diatom filter when operated in a batch mode will only reduce or vastly reduce waterborne concentration of pathogens.

The diatom filter when properly charged is effective in reducing ich concentration and thus slowing the progress of ich. It will not eradicate ich, it is limited in capacity and is a PITA to recharge every 1-2 weeks. Effective antibodies are not developed for ich.

The UV is effective in vastly reducing waterborne bacterial pathogens and is hence useful before antibodies are developed. A uv sized for bacteria will not have much impact on ich.

The QT must be separate from DT. Avoid contamination before eradication.

The benefit you mentioned is moot. There should never be ammonia in QT, as it is in DT, if you had cycled the medium for QT very well in advance, unless a drug that harms nitrification bacteria will have to be used, almost always an antibiotic against bacterial infection.
I figured that would be the answer to jt. I just added a few fish I to qt and was wondering if anyone had tried it before.