PDA

View Full Version : Best Filter Size and Arrangement for Phoenix Area

urbaneks
10/16/2014, 05:25 PM
I have a 6 Stage RODI filter and I'd like to know the best filter sizes and arrangements to maximize filter life while still getting 0 TDS. I live in Chandler, AZ where incoming tap water measures higher than 400 TDS.

I'm currently setup as follows:

Stage 1 - .5 Micron Sediment Filter
Stage 2 - .5 Micron Carbon Block
Stage 3 - Empty
Stage 4 - 90 GPD RO Membrane
Stage 5 - Max Cap High Capacity DI
Stage 6 - Silica Buster High Capacity DI

I only seem to be getting about 6 weeks on my Carbon Block before my pressure drops from ~60 PSI to less than 30 PSI. I also have one of my stages empty which I would like to start utilizing.

Given my current configuration and premature carbon block failures, what is the optimal configuration?

Thanks in advance!

SpectraPure
10/16/2014, 05:40 PM
Chandler customers have been reporting some very large swings in Chlorine, likely to treat the implications of the recent two big floods :-(
I would add in your vacant third stage a CF-CR-1-10 for extra chloramine protection for your membrane, and a MEM-SP-0090 (tested 99% membrane) for longer DI life, and use a TK-CL-10-KIT to monitor your chlorine breakthrough to make sure you do not damage your membrane by changing your carbon when they are exhausted, rather than on pressure. What is your pressure? You may want a booster pump if the pressure is low.

If you still are interested, you can also contact our tech line for assistance. Jeremy will be glad to help you.

bruce

urbaneks
10/16/2014, 05:56 PM
Bruce - Thanks for the feedback.

My pressure with new pre filters ranges between 55 and 60 PSI. I don't believe that a booster pump is needed on that starting PSI but I'm open to using one if that would help.

As for adding a 1 micron carbon block in my empty chamber, do you recommend continuing with a .5 micron carbon block in the 2nd chamber. This is the first time I've used the .5 micron and I'm second guessing that decision. I'm now thinking that I should go with 1 micron all the way through the prefilters.

SpectraPure
10/17/2014, 11:23 AM
add in your vacant third stage a CF-CR-1-10 for extra chloramine protection for your membrane

bruce

urbaneks
10/17/2014, 11:33 AM
Bruce,
I'm not asking my question very clearly.

Based on how fast the .5 micron carbon blocks are clogging (every 6 weeks), would it be more cost effective for me to go to 1 micron carbon blocks in both chambers 2 and 3? Adding a 1 micron carbon block to my vacant chamber without doing anything different to the carbon block in chamber 2, I would think, I'm going to continue to clog the .5 micron carbon block very quickly. Hope this is clearer.
Thanks,

SpectraPure
10/17/2014, 11:40 AM
Aha, I see what you are saying I think.
IMO, you should be changing your sediment filter more often, as your carbon should be changed based on its lack of chemical removal, not plugging (I assume from sediments or ultrafines passing by your sediment filter causing a pressure drop, aka "plugging").
This may be in part caused again by all the flooding that has occurred here lately, ultrafine sediments may be present.
In your case, I would suggest a 0.2m zeta zorb sediment filter, followed by the CR carbon filter.
This would give you a sediment filter that should protect your carbon.
Plugging is what happens when sediments present are stopped by the filter. Some plug sooner, some plug later, but plugging means it is stopped. If plugging was the only factor of concern in sediment filters, chicken wire would be a hot seller :-)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735396

Hope this helps.

urbaneks
10/17/2014, 12:04 PM
This does help and again, I should have clarified more information up front. I replaced a .5 micron sediment filter and a .5 micron carbon block on the same day just 6 weeks ago. Fast forward 6 weeks and my pressure had dropped from 60psi to ~20psi.

I then replaced the sediment filter with a new .5 micron filter and restarted the system which was still running at 20psi. I then replaced the .5 micron carbon block with a new .5 micron carbon block and viola, back to 60 PSI.

This was my first go at .5 micron filters, I've always used 1 micron in the past. I thought I was buying the best available but if I can only get 6 weeks from .5 micron carbon blocks, it's not cost effective. It sounds like you are saying that the recent floods are the most likely cause of the premature clogging. I will continue to run the .5 micron filters over the next couple months to see how they perform. If they clog again in 6 weeks then I will look for a better solution for the water quality we have hear in Az.

SpectraPure
10/17/2014, 04:32 PM
urbaneks,

I would go with a special sediment filter. You can either add a stage and use it that way, or you can use it in place of the standard sediment.

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/SEDIMENT-CARBON-FILTERS-DI-CARTRIDGES-RESIN/Sediment-Filter-Cart/0.5-Micron-String-Wound-Sediment-Filter-Cartridge-10-inch

Also,

I would be willing to send you one free if charge if you pay for the shipping. The standard filter works great in most applications, but I feel that this will be helpful to you. This filter did solve similar problems in New York, and also New Jersey.

Jeremy

urbaneks
10/17/2014, 05:00 PM
urbaneks,
Also,

I would be willing to send you one free if charge if you pay for the shipping. The standard filter works great in most applications, but I feel that this will be helpful to you. This filter did solve similar problems in New York, and also New Jersey.

Jeremy

I live locally, so can I just stop by and pick one up free of charge?

SpectraPure
10/21/2014, 12:18 PM
Charles says that he would like you to try it out. Come on by and pick on up.