PDA

View Full Version : Moray Help

WhiteBarry
10/17/2014, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know how to care for this guy. Or what type of eel it is.

I saw a moray eel yesterday. I didn't get a picture. It was a moray not a ribbon.

It was marked as a yellow edge moray and was very small. It doesn't look like pictures of the yellow edge moray I see online. Maybe they change colors as they age.

It had the same color pattern as this ribbon eel but had the shape of a moray.

http://www.fishnfriends.com/fishspecies/Eel_files/1908BlackRibbonEel.jpg

DoubleM 10
10/17/2014, 09:18 AM
this is a black ribbon eel.

i owned one for a long time. in a 55gal. 4' long tank with lots of pvc for it to hide and feel comfortable.

It is NOT a moray eel. Rhinomuraena quaesita is the scientific name.

If you look at its face it looks very different from a moray.

They are hard to keep in our tanks. they do not take to frozen well if at all. i was able to train mine. it took 6 months to do so while feeding live food.

as it reaches sexual maturity it will turn to a blue body and still have the gold stripe.

HTH

DoubleM 10
10/17/2014, 11:44 AM

i owned one for a long time. in a 55gal. 4' long tank with lots of pvc for it to hide and feel comfortable.

If you look at its face it looks very different from a moray.

They are hard to keep in our tanks. they do not take to frozen well if at all. i was able to train mine. it took 6 months to do so while feeding live food.

as it reaches sexual maturity it will turn to a blue body and still have the gold stripe.

HTH

I apologize. i should have read the whole thing. i cant find a pick of an animal like that accept the one pictured.

not sure what was seen

LukFox
10/17/2014, 02:52 PM

Side note: Rhinomuraena is indeed in the moray eel family, Muraenidae.

pinnatus
10/17/2014, 03:02 PM
When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie, that's a moray

moriarty
10/17/2014, 04:02 PM
From your description, my guess would be a juvenile Gymnothorax flavimarginatus or yellowmargin moray. I just received mine from DD today which will eventually go into a 240g species tank with a few cleaner shrimp. Have been looking for one for a while and when this one came up, I pulled the trigger within about 30 seconds!

Here is the DD pic of mine.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9382&pictureid=66242

pinnatus - That song is now stuck in my head. Thanks for that.

ChimolaFish
10/17/2014, 08:03 PM
When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie, that's a moray

Nice!