PDA

View Full Version : Comline 3162 or 63

Redbellyjx
10/17/2014, 07:42 AM
I was interested in using one of these in my nano, but was concerned about the size.

My tank is 11.8 tall (300mm), 5mm glass, and maybe 3/4-7/8" (20mm) of sand. So That leaves about 275mm of inside height.

The first question, is with roughly 10.8" of clearance, its there enough room to install one of these? How much clearance is needed under the filter?

Second, the tank is only about 12 gallons. (after displacement of rock, filter, etc). This is a soft coral tank, and the filter would be the only source of flow in the tank. I have a feeling like the 3162 might be a little too small, and the 3162 is too much flow. Which would you recommend?

rvitko
10/17/2014, 09:55 AM
That is a tough call, honestly if it was my tank I would use the 9001 skimmer and nothing else. I think the filter is too bulky and better suited to tanks 20 gallons+. It would be an eyesore. 8.5-9.1" would be submerged so it would work and the bottom intake pipe can be cut as needed to fit. I just think it is a big box for such a small tank and a skimmer would be more effective if only one filter item was to be used.

Redbellyjx
10/17/2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for your input!

One of the reasons i was looking at the Comline boxes vs a skimmer was I liked how you can incorporate the Osmolator and heater to take away some of the clutter.

I had a false wall on this tank (DIY all -in-pne project) that I removed. There is a ton more space, and I'm not terribly concerned with putting one of these filters in the corner

rvitko
10/17/2014, 03:02 PM
OK, in that case, my vote would be for the 3163. It seems contrary to logic but the 3163 basically uses a Nano Stream 6015 which would provide all the flow you need, it is a wider more diffuse flow. We actually usually recommend the 3162 for bigger tanks as the lower flow is coming from a 1/2 nozzle and jets across the tank so the clean water is introduced farther from the filter. Just keep in mind that only the optic sensor of a full size osmolator installs on the filter, the float will still be outside for the nano or full size.