PDA

View Full Version : Tank Transfer Method

CodeBlueMedic
10/17/2014, 02:56 PM
Howdy Folks,

Using this guide: http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/3daytransfer.html

I plan on following it for all future fish purchases, rather than treating with cupramine. My question is, if I am getting small fish, would a 5 gallon buck suffice for a tank for 3 days?

ETA: For example, a bangaii cardinal or two?

HumbleFish
10/17/2014, 08:36 PM
A bucket would work for the purposes of TTM, but the problem is you really can't see a fish too well in that. So, you might never notice another disease the fish has (ex. marine velvet, brook, bacterial infection) until the fish was transferred to a clear tank. TTM works great.. but it only works for ich and no other diseases. Personally, I would pickup a couple of 5 or 10 gallon tanks to do TTM (I believe Petco is still running their $1 per gallon sale.)

I found the info in the link you posted to be a bit confusing. Here is the RC thread regarding TTM, and below is a quote taken from that thread which describes how to implement TTM: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996525

Day 1 - fish in QT.
Day 4 - in AM, but before tank lights come on (8-9 AM EST), transfer fish to new tank, matching temp and salinity. Transfer as little water as possible.
Day 7 - repeat.
Day 10 - repeat.
Day 13 - repeat and done.

After transferring, I sterilized all PVC, heaters, filters/powerheads, thermometer, etc with a mild bleach colution. Rinse well. Let dry before next transfer.

HumbleFish
10/17/2014, 08:43 PM
I would just add that you also need to sterilize the tank, along with all equipment. I personally use vinegar and then let air dry for 3 days in lieu of bleach. Also, doing it "in AM, but before tank lights come on (8-9 AM EST)" is now obsolete information. You can do it anytime, so long as each transfer does not exceed 72 hours of the previous one.

snorvich
10/18/2014, 05:03 AM
I would just add that you also need to sterilize the tank, along with all equipment. I personally use vinegar and then let air dry for 3 days in lieu of bleach. Also, doing it "in AM, but before tank lights come on (8-9 AM EST)" is now obsolete information. You can do it anytime, so long as each transfer does not exceed 72 hours of the previous one.

This. The 72 hours is important (less is fine, but that would mean more transfers so the total time is 12 days). Time of day is not relevant.

CodeBlueMedic
10/18/2014, 08:54 AM
Oh okay, great info! Would purchasing 2 tanks for this be ideal? Clean and sterlize one, then use it for the next transfer?

HumbleFish
10/18/2014, 09:01 AM
Oh okay, great info! Would purchasing 2 tanks for this be ideal? Clean and sterlize one, then use it for the next transfer?

Ideal and necessary. Along with dedicated equipment for both tanks.

avandss
10/18/2014, 09:04 AM

for tt its a must, it greatly reduces risk and stress on fish

if you use one you will need to scoop the fish in a "temporary container" and then sterilize the tank to then transfer them

for the cost of a 10g setup, its a must

CodeBlueMedic
10/18/2014, 09:58 AM
What's the best way to move the fish from tank to tank?

avandss
10/18/2014, 10:42 AM
1-Tupperware/2-colander/3-last resort fish net, try to transfer the least amount of water as you can

personally i use a fish net or colander depending on the type of fish (for ex i could not for the life of me catch a blenny with a colander... out came the net!

i also fill a jug with about 1 gallon of dt water and rinse the fish before transferring him in the new tank

firemountain
10/18/2014, 11:43 AM
What's the best way to move the fish from tank to tank?

I am doing the TTM right now.....if you are using a 10g tank, this is the best.....

http://www.chefcentral.com/joseph-joseph-square-colander-large-green.html

It literally fits perfectly in the tank and is nice and deep.