PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Coral List

RockyProndoa
10/18/2014, 09:06 AM
Hello everyone. I have had my 135g reef up and running for about 6 months now, all parameters in check and I am looking to add some corals. I intend to keep an even mix of LPS and SPS, perhaps some mushrooms thrown in.

I am looking for a "list" so to speak, or at least some recommendations, of some corals that I can start out with. I do have some general knowledge of their care (currently have a torch, frogspawn, and some acans - all doing well), but with so many options I am a little overwhelmed with where to start. So... Can anyone help? :rolleyes::p

cloak
10/18/2014, 11:12 AM
Check this out.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597

HTH.

Mcgeezer
10/18/2014, 11:56 AM
Before you add corals...do you have an understanding of dosing two part, maintaining magnesium, or using Kalkwasser? These are critical to SPS and LPS. Aim for these parameters:

Calcium 420-440
Alkalinity 8-10
Magnesium 1280-1350

Mushrooms are practically impossible to kill and only need light to survive. Ricordea florida is a beautiful species that are a great beginner coral. Next are basically any type of soft corals. I strongly suggest LPS before SPS as SPS is much more demanding and you need a good grasp on your lighting and chemistry before taking them on.

Great LPS specimens are:
Lobophyllia
Duncanopsammia (these are the easiest LPS)
Favia/favites

Easy SPS:
Montipora capricornis
Montipora digitata
Stylophora

Stay away from clove polyps and green star polyps. They grow to plague like proportions. Xenia are the same, but alot of people enjoy the pulsing action of the xenia plus they are easy to trim back when needed.

RockyProndoa
10/18/2014, 12:59 PM
Before you add corals...do you have an understanding of dosing two part, maintaining magnesium, or using Kalkwasser? These are critical to SPS and LPS. Aim for these parameters:

Calcium 420-440
Alkalinity 8-10
Magnesium 1280-1350

Mushrooms are practically impossible to kill and only need light to survive. Ricordea florida is a beautiful species that are a great beginner coral. Next are basically any type of soft corals. I strongly suggest LPS before SPS as SPS is much more demanding and you need a good grasp on your lighting and chemistry before taking them on.

Great LPS specimens are:
Lobophyllia
Duncanopsammia (these are the easiest LPS)
Favia/favites

Easy SPS:
Montipora capricornis
Montipora digitata
Stylophora

Stay away from clove polyps and green star polyps. They grow to plague like proportions. Xenia are the same, but alot of people enjoy the pulsing action of the xenia plus they are easy to trim back when needed.
Yes, I have a pretty adequate understanding of dosing and maintaining levels.

The list you provided is exactly what I am looking for... A place to start and work from there with some general recommendations.

Also, I actually prefer the LPS because they are not as rigid looking as SPS, but eventually I hope to have an assortment of both.

If anyone else has any other recommendations, feel free to add.. Thanks!

Sk8r
10/18/2014, 01:14 PM
Lights are critical, and these species do not share the same light zone or water clarity requirements.
Soft corals, mushrooms, clams, and lps corals like slightly rich water, which may be a bit underskimmed.
SPS and LPS corals and clams require constant calcium supplementation, which can be accomplished automatically via kalk powder in the ato reservoir. Softies and shrooms use fairly little.
SPS requires very bright light of a certain spectrum.
LPS and some clams (except bubble, which like shade) require bright to moderate light.
Most softies prefer lower light, deeper in the tank.
Some corals live in deep shadow and require feeding: sun coral, eg. And some gorgonians.
Soft corals spit chemicals into the water to discourage other corals from growing. in the ocean, this gets carried away. in your tank, carbon can sop it up, but carbon has to be changed pretty well monthly.
Stony coral doesn't spit, but may reach out tentacles to sting their neighbors: allow six inches down current, and don't neglect up: I caught a bubble coral reaching straight up to attack a birdsnest. Even corals that don't look as if they have tentacles may show them at night.
Hope this helps.

E46Twist
10/18/2014, 01:16 PM
Montipora grow very well and are easy on the sps side. Also try green slimers.

For LPS.. Anything but elegance coral. Just make sure and give LPS corals space.

RockyProndoa
10/18/2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice... time to start looking!