PDA

View Full Version : Is this ich?

xkon
10/18/2014, 03:22 PM
Just appeared overnight on my volitan and radiata lionfish. I am wondering if it could be from feeding FW ghost shrimp or possibly the addition of a potter's angelfish. Does it look like Ich to you?

If so what is the best way to treat it in tank?

Newsmyrna80
10/18/2014, 07:33 PM
Looks too big for ich. You could be dealing with brook or velvet. Did you quarantine the angel?

xkon
10/19/2014, 04:54 AM
I did zoom in for that picture, he is only about 3 inches long. However if it is velvet, is the treatment still the same as if it were ich? Also I have live rock and sand in the tank. As well as two dwarf angels, the two lionfish, and a fimbriated moray eel. The potters angel was not quarantined. What would be the recommended course of action?

Newsmyrna80
10/19/2014, 06:25 AM
For treatment read the stickies at the top of the forum. There are a few choices and you need to decide on your preference. Treatment will need to be done in a separate tank. Of course at this point you don't know which disease you are dealing with. I would be prepared and have formalin and copper on hand.

xkon
10/19/2014, 09:24 PM
So I found the potter's angelfish dead under a rock today. Removed as soon as I found him. I added a picture, it might be able to help with figuring out the disease/parasite issue.

On the other hand, both lions today are completely clear and look fine. I know that does not mean they are in the clear though. If it were ich, the parasites might have broke off and be in their other stage. However, the spots only appeared less than 48 hours? My tank is at 77 degrees. Wouldn't the spots remain for more than two days if it were ich?

I do not know much about velvet or if these symptoms are indicative of it?

xkon
10/20/2014, 01:26 PM
any opinions?

HumbleFish
10/20/2014, 01:40 PM
Ich typically stays on a fish for 3-7 days, so the spots disappearing in less than 48 hrs suggests something other than ich. And being the lions are still alive or at least not in great distress suggests some other than velvet. Are you sure it wasn't just some sand that got on the lions as they hung out near the bottom?

xkon
10/20/2014, 04:58 PM
It definitely wasnt sand (I have black sand). They were white little bumps on their fins and body.