PDA

View Full Version : Help with identifying wrasse

loup
10/19/2014, 02:49 PM
I picked her up sold as a female eightline flasher wrasse. But as she grew, I doubt she is one as I have a male eightline flasher. Can one of the expert help me identify her?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/loupham/unknown.jpg

eatbreakfast
10/19/2014, 03:28 PM
This is Cirrhilabrus sp. 3, the Kenya fairy wrasse, a species in the rubriventralis complex and a clse relative to the Kwazulu fairy wrasse. The difference between the 2 is sp3 belly is white and the kwazulu has a completely yellow belly.

loup
10/19/2014, 04:03 PM
Awesome. Finally put a name to my unknown. Thanks.

evolved
10/20/2014, 09:52 AM
This is Cirrhilabrus sp. 3, the Kenya fairy wrasse, a species in the rubriventralis complex and a clse relative to the Kwazulu fairy wrasse. The difference between the 2 is sp3 belly is white and the kwazulu has a completely yellow belly.
+1
(and they might actually be variants of the same species; we'll need genetic testing for that)

jaa1456
10/20/2014, 10:25 AM
I had one for a few years, mine was very docile and a great citizen, stuck to own side of the tank though and was never chased by any other fish.

eatbreakfast
10/20/2014, 11:28 AM
I had one for a few years, mine was very docile and a great citizen, stuck to own side of the tank though and was never chased by any other fish.

Each can have their own personality though, the ones I have seen were quite aggressive towards other wrasses. I had to remove one male because he relentlessly harassed a mixed group of flashers and a solorensis and a lubbocks.

snorvich
10/20/2014, 11:51 AM
Each can have their own personality though, the ones I have seen were quite aggressive towards other wrasses. I had to remove one male because he relentlessly harassed a mixed group of flashers and a solorensis and a lubbocks.

Likewise.

evolved
10/20/2014, 12:52 PM
Yeah, most variants of the rubriventralis complex tend to be a bit ornery. Not one I'd attempt with other wrasses.

loup
10/20/2014, 01:07 PM
Mine has been mellow. Had her, now him, for a year now. Just recently added first fairy and no issue. The lineatus and earlei keeps everyone in check.