PDA

View Full Version : Fish list for my new 150

mclay3
10/19/2014, 02:50 PM
Wondering if anyone had any opinions on my wish list for my new 150gal reef tank. Is this too many? Running a protein skimmer in the sump and a refugium as well.

• 2 dwarf golden moray eels
• 5 green chromis
• 1 blue tang
• 1 yellow tang
• 1 purple tang
• 1 mandarin goby
• 1 yasha hasi goby with pistol shrimp
• 2 clown fish with red bubble tip anemone
• 1 mystery wrass
• 1 long nose hawk fish
• 1 magnificent foxface
• 1 blue spotted puffer
• 3-4 anthias
• 2 Helfrich firefish

Thanks!

Stevenliu9
10/19/2014, 04:13 PM
• 2 dwarf golden moray eels
• 5 green chromis
• 1 blue tang
• 1 yellow tang
• 1 purple tang
• 1 mandarin goby
• 1 yasha hasi goby with pistol shrimp
• 2 clown fish with red bubble tip anemone
• 1 mystery wrass
• 1 long nose hawk fish
• 1 magnificent foxface
• 1 blue spotted puffer
• 3-4 anthias
• 2 Helfrich firefish

Thanks!

Nice list with mostly hardy fish! I'm sure you probably already know but just want to stress a few points:
Assuming by blue tang you mean paracanthurus, they get big and most of the ones I've seen are shier, so put them in before other tangs.
Beware of Yellow & Purpole tang interaction as they are from the same genera and can engage in lethal fights.
Mandarins are only suited for mature, large tanks, if you have a newer tank (less than a year), you will starve it to death as it has no pods for the goby to eat and all other fish will outcompete it.
Mystery wrasse, firefish, and longnose hawk are all infamous for being jumpers. You MUST have a cover or you will lost all of them, not the matter of if, but when.
If this is a reef tank and you plan to keep any crustaceans, you might want to remove the puffer from your list.
I would add Anthias before you add any tangs, they get easily startled.
Lastly, if I can start over with my tank, I will not add green chromes, if you start with five, in two months you will have 3 left, then probably down to 1 or 2 in six months. They constantly fight to death, again not if, but when.

mclay3
10/19/2014, 05:56 PM
I have a standard canopy. There are two openings in the back but they'd have to jump about 6'' or more. Do I need to worry about that?