PDA

View Full Version : Need Some help with External Pump

tank41
10/21/2014, 10:10 AM
Hello guys. Have a Coralife Turbo Sea 1270 that I received awhile back that came with a trade I had made with a fellow reefer. To be honest I have never used a external pump and need to make sure this works in order to sell or trade in the future. So the pump was in working order when the previous owner took down his tank. I plugged the unit in and there was no movement with the propeller and no sound. After doing a bit of research i heard something stating that it may need primed. Is this normal not to make any movement or sound while being plugged in to power but not hooked up to a tank or sump? Any suggestions on how I could check it easily without hooking it up to a drilled sump that I do not have. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ca1ore
10/21/2014, 10:15 AM
While you certainly ought not to run an external pump dry (i.e. unprimed), it is OK to do so to check the operation. The impeller should spin, though it may simply be that the thing is jammed with dirt or calcium. I'd take it apart, clean it, and then try again.

tank41
10/21/2014, 06:37 PM
Hey thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have done that. Everything was pretty clean to begin with but gave it a good cleaning just to make sure and still no movement.