PDA

View Full Version : Slimy, goopy stuff on top of water in sump.

Docdiggy
10/22/2014, 04:52 AM
Does anybody know what it is? I pulled it all out because it was blocking lots of light in my refugium. It dark green with bubbles and it was slimy. It took some caulerpa with it.

AirForceAquariu
10/22/2014, 07:40 AM
Sounds like bubble algae

schoch79
10/22/2014, 08:01 AM
It's not bubble algae for sure. To take a guess its probably a combination of things with the bubbles possibly coming from cyano or dynos. Even some sort of filamentous type algae floating in there. I've had something like that in my sump once before is why I suggest that.

TreyK
10/22/2014, 08:04 AM
Sounds like bubble algae

Probably not, Valonia is typically quite rigid and not goopy in the least. Maybe the OP can get a picture?

AirForceAquariu
10/22/2014, 08:06 AM
Sorry, was a best guess on the description. I took goofy as appearance not texture but I didn't read he had removed it!

TruReef
10/22/2014, 08:21 AM
Sounds like bacterial slime layer, if the water on top isn't agitated a slime layer will colonize the top layer of water. The dark green is probably just algae growing on/in this layer(its usually clear). Try putting a small powerhead aimed up in there and see if that helps. Don't need alot of flow, just enough to break surface tension and stir it up.

Docdiggy
10/22/2014, 11:37 AM
Trureef, you sound right. There is basically no water movement at the surface in my sump. I tossed it in a bucket this morning but, when I get home I'll take a pic. I am assuming whatever it is, it eats up nutrients. It was blocking too much light so it had to go.