PDA

View Full Version : Keeping acrylic Clean

troutbum24
10/22/2014, 09:42 AM
Hi all I have a question reguarding keeping acrylic tank clean. I bought my tank used and it came with a fair amount of scratches on the interior of tank, a few deeper ones but mainly just scuffing of the entire tank. If I clean my tank within about 3 days I begin to get a little bit of furry algae growing on the tank. At day 5 I will get these brown/red spots of hard algae growing on the acrylic (I don’t think its coralline algae). This hard algae is fairly hard to scrape off and the magnet scrubber does not really work at all. If I buff out all the scratches will it become easier to clean the tank? Also how hard/tedious/time consuming is the buffing process?

TangySushi
10/22/2014, 11:45 AM
Try getting the flipper magnent first. It's able to take off coraline algae on my 75 gallon.

I sanded my tank before and it took me a few days since I was repainting the stand too. Then I cleaned it with vinegar and hose water for a few days after. If you're going to do it, take your time with it. Mine didn't come out 100% perfect, but it looks allot better than it did.

thegrun
10/22/2014, 12:52 PM
Yes, scratches will collect algae faster. I used an old credit card to scrape the sides when I had an acrylic tank. It takes a fair amount of work to buff out a tank.