PDA

View Full Version : 200 micron polyester filter sock

noob reefer
10/22/2014, 01:34 PM
Quick queation/advice on how to was filter socks...diswaser or laundry soap or what to use in the was or diswaser? Bleech? Thanks in advance!

thegrun
10/22/2014, 01:40 PM
Do not use soap or detergents! You can use bleach as long as you air dry it before use. I just turn mine inside out and blast them clean with a hose.

noob reefer
10/22/2014, 01:42 PM
I don't have a hose hookup where I live..so maybe just laundry waser with a bit of bleech and air dry?

tzylak
10/22/2014, 01:49 PM
I soak mine in diluted (50/50) bleach overnight. Rinse well, dry for a few days and it's ready to go.

rdrbssr11
10/23/2014, 03:57 AM
I use distilled vinegar in the washer. Bleach works too but I try to avoid harsh chemicals.

Dan_P
10/23/2014, 05:28 AM
Quick queation/advice on how to was filter socks...diswaser or laundry soap or what to use in the was or diswaser? Bleech? Thanks in advance!

If you have a small supply of socks, you can swap out the dirty one for a clean one and do cleaning at your leisure.

Avoid soaps just because you might introduce residues into the aquarium. Detergent residues could cause foaming in the tank. I have seen bleach suggested because it can help oxidize and dislodge organic material. You could also simply turn the sock inside out and scrub it by hand under a stream of water until you stop seeing residue coming off. This last approach probably will not get it pristine white again and over several months time the sock could to become discolored.

It is really up to just how fastidious you want to be about bringing your sock back to its original condition, though regular cleaning is important if you have a sock.