PDA

View Full Version : O. Havanensis preparation checklist

ScienceAchieved
10/23/2014, 08:14 AM
Im about to order O. Havanensis, and I wanted to run my setup by you guys to make sure im not missing anything important. I was initially going to get a peacock, but decided the tank was too small, and my cat would probably try to box with it through the glass...
As for equipment, I have:
-29 gallon tank, securely covered
-t8 florescent light (standard came with hood type)
-200 watt titanium heater
-reef octopus classic 100 hob skimmer
-huge canister filter with a uv sterilizer. I have floss in it, mostly for water movement.
-aquaticlife ro buddie 4 stage ro/di unit
-25 lbs live rock
-3 inch sandbed aragonite
-instant ocean salt mix
im going to get 5 pounds or so of rubble today.

Ph 8.2, specific gravity 1.024, temp 80f

The tanks about 3 months old, and seems stable. Ive been doing 20% weekly water changes, and ammonia nitrite nitrate are all around zero consistantly, though ive only got a small damsel in there now. had a full spectrum test done, everything was ok.
A few questions; do I need to add an air pump? I have one, but thought the skimmer seems to agitate the water more than a pump would. I know they need high o2 content. Should I get rid of the damsel? Its a bowtie damsel. It will get somewhat large, and is aggressive and very agile. Seems like it would be hungry for stalked eyeballs. Im leaning towards removing it.
the sand bed. I read that Dr. Roy had an incident with that. Was it gas from anaerobic bacteria?
Im going to get a variety of frozen food and selcon, and put some small snails in and see what it prefers.
Anyhow, im inexperienced with saltwater, and might be missing something. I know its a sensitive species, and want to be cautious.
edit-im using an off brand rubbermaid type storage bin for mixing/storing water. Are these safe?

Adetia
10/23/2014, 08:54 AM
I don't think you don't need an air pump but you might want to add a small powerhead. I have mine pointing at the glass in front of her burrow to get some circulation in the burrow but not enough to make her want to move.

Mine lives with an aggressive bluefin damsel so you should be ok with the damsel. O Havanesis are super quick so they can escape. You may want to remove the damsel until the mantis establishes a burrow but after that you should be fine adding it back in.

I have a 4-6" sand bed in my 29 gallon and I don't have any issues(that i'm aware of). My tank has been up and running since March 2011 and survived a 5" peacock digging it up constantly so I think you should be ok (that bluefin was one of my first fish).

I'm not sure what you're doing for a clean up crew but I would suggest getting a bunch of dwarf ceriths, ceriths, and nassarius snails from reefcleaners.org. Maybe some blue leg hermits as well, if that's your style. I usually get 100 or so of the dwarf ceriths since they make for a nice snack in between feedings. They use the empty shells to build with as well.

I don't know about rubbermaid containers. I use orange home depot and old instant ocean buckets to store/mix my salt water.

ScienceAchieved
10/23/2014, 09:09 AM
Cool, black damsel is another name for the blue fin I think. Im kinda attached to it haha. I actually have a little power head lying around, I will hook it up. And get some buckets.
-edit-i was planning on ordering a bunch of dwarf ceriths, I think theres a seller on ebay that I read sells large amounts pretty cheap. I dont have alot of algae yet, im beginning to get a film of brownish green on the back glass. There were a ton of little white asterina stars in a live rock I bought, they seem to be hanging out back there, but I cant tell if theyre munching it