PDA

View Full Version : Camera Advice

alb_56
10/24/2014, 11:18 AM
So I am sure there are tons of threads on this but it's always easier to just ask so here goes. I have zero experience with actual good cameras and would like to take good quality pictures of my tank. I need advice on what camera is best that won't break the bank. I have no preference about age or weight as long as it produces nice clear crisp macro photos. Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance for your opinion.

Misled
10/24/2014, 11:43 AM
You at least need to come up with what you're willing to spend. And you're better off owning the bank.

alb_56
10/24/2014, 11:49 AM
I guess 300$ area would be a good target. I just didn't know if that range would get a decent camera.

badguitarist
11/10/2014, 02:59 AM
bumping this thread because I was about to post one saying the exact same thing. Im hoping for the same price range as well.

toothybugs
11/10/2014, 10:51 AM
There are some macro/ magnifying add-on lenses for some point-n-shoots though I will admit I don't know much about them as I've never looked. But if you want to go DSLR (which most of us here do) the lowest Canon model is a T3 for around $400-450 with the 50mm macro lens for another 300. That's for true macro though, and a 50mm macro lens really limits your range. I haven't looked in to Nikon but I would imagine their baselines are similar.

JaYbIrD1969
11/10/2014, 01:12 PM
That price range is going to put you into the "good luck" category. That is, Even with the right settings you will luck into a few excellent images, so it IS possible. As you invest more into good equipment with high quality lenses, you start finding more and more of your results will satisfy your eye. As you take more pics, your standards will go up, and you WILL hit a ceiling of image quality that you must upgrade to break thru. You will learn little tricks to make the most of your equipment, but in the end it will likely fall short of the overall quality youre after. I know these words are a little discouraging, but photography (like reef aquaria) is not a cheap hobby at all.

alb_56
11/21/2014, 08:03 PM
What do you guys think of this one? Nikon Coolpix L330 20.2MP Digital Camera with 26X Optical Zoom

toothybugs
11/21/2014, 11:40 PM
Macro mode could be fun on that - to my inexperienced eyes it looks like a good cam for the price. You should have fun learning to shoot with it. It'll take a touch of practice but that's the fun part.

rsaha
12/11/2014, 09:18 PM
What about a used micro 4/3 Panasonic or Olympus. My Panasonic GX1 is long in the tooth, worth about $80-120 for the body and still takes fine pictures (only 3 years old). You could start with a kit lens and then maybe look at some better ones used if you decide you really care...

IslandCrow
12/16/2014, 02:27 PM
Although some are more well suited than others, just about any modern camera can allow you to create very good photographs. At the $300 range, I'd simply look for something that allows full manual control (i.e. setting ISO, shutter speed and aperture), captures raw images (i.e. not just jpeg) and can accommodate an external flash. DSLRs are, by nature, more versatile, but may be out of your price range for even a used model when you factor in the cost of the lens (not completely out of the question, though).

That said, the camera is only 10% of the solution. The last 90% is the photographic technique and processing of the final image. You may already be fully aware, but the really amazing photographs you see from some of the members on here didn't turn out that way just because they've invested thousands of dollars in their camera gear. It's really because they've invested thousands of hours in learning how to use it.