PDA

View Full Version : Fragging saw

jlantz1982
10/24/2014, 06:18 PM
I'm looking to start fragging out some of my chalices & LPS but I really can't swing the $400 for the coral saws I've found advertised. Would it be ok to use just a wet tile saw? I found this one at Lowe's that I thought might work. Looking for opinions :)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_320300-46922-3540-01_0__#BVRRWidgetID

viper12775
10/26/2014, 09:28 AM
the link didn't work for me but a wet tile saw will work just rinse if off good or it will rust up on you

joefish72
10/27/2014, 10:10 AM
I use a dremel with a dental tip in it.

liven learn
10/28/2014, 04:35 PM
You can get one cheaper. Wet band saw. http://www.inlandhobby.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=205

ClownNut
10/29/2014, 06:41 AM
spend the money to get a good saw for expensive corals, you will find the coral saw worth every penny.
but if you just want to cut cheap stuff with a lot of rock then the tile saw is your pick.

Reef Bass
10/29/2014, 07:34 AM
I use the Inland saw liven learn linked to. The ability to make intricate curving cuts is key for fragging chalices (and other corals) as one can cut around mouths instead of through them. The cut path is relatively thin and one can add a touch of iodine to the fluid so the saw disinfects as it cuts. I have found the survival rate of frags high doing so.

IMHO, the saw can pay for itself with the frags that survive cutting, compared to other methods which tend to not yield not as high a survival rate, IME. While one could cut lots of tiny frags, I've found the best way to ensure high survival of frags is to cut a sufficiently large piece to start with, the bigger the better. I avoid cutting pieces less than one square inch, for example.

Other wet bandsaw perks: the saw goes through most live rock like butter, and one can easily and neatly trim off exposed skeleton on any corals which have receded.

Before I got the Inland saw I used a dremel with diamond blade cutting disk. While it works, the cuts are straight and it can be difficult to get it in tight places for fragging off individual branches of say hammers or acros.

parrthed
10/29/2014, 12:19 PM
^ +1

The ability to make precise and clean cuts is critical. Also since I have gotten my saw I can frag an acan eye for eye and survivability is way up there. I've easily saved the cost of the saw in survivable frags and having the ability to frag anything regardless of shape is a plus too. Just recently I acquired a poker star monti on a 4" rock. I was able to zip up about 20 square frags in 2 minutes and all frags healed quickly and didn't miss a beat.

Swip
11/01/2014, 06:08 PM
How often do you have to change the blade on a bandsaw? I'm thinking about buying the gryphon aqua saw or the inland reefkeeper.

Tradewinds
11/01/2014, 06:18 PM
Depending on how much fragging you'll be doing the Gryphon AquaSaw Diamond Band Saw is the way to go.

Swip
11/01/2014, 06:42 PM
Probably around 80-120 frags a month. How often would I need to replace the blade on the gryphon?

Tradewinds
11/02/2014, 02:53 PM
Probably around 80-120 frags a month. How often would I need to replace the blade on the gryphon?

It will depend on the type of material your cutting. Our local club has one and I don't think we have ever had a problem with it.
Do a forum search on Gryphon, you'll find a number of threads on the saw.

reefwars
11/03/2014, 09:31 AM
I find neither the inland or the gryphon lasts longer than the blades do lol I cut about 500 frags a week I go through a blade about every 8-10 mths and that's aut the lifespan on both of these saws too before needing to replace parts on them.

I've owed 2 gryphons and I'm on my 4th inland :(

With that said though when they work fine they work fine lol

Price is better on the inland though so I won't buy another gryphon if they last about the same time ;)

Reef Peep I
11/03/2014, 02:24 PM
I've had both saws. Inlands are made of cheaper materials than the Gryphon. Saw blades last about the same time, around a year.

Swip
11/03/2014, 06:10 PM
That sounds really good. Now I just have to find someone in Europe that sells the Gryphon Aquasaw..

Tradewinds
11/03/2014, 06:30 PM
I find neither the inland or the gryphon lasts longer than the blades do lol I cut about 500 frags a week I go through a blade about every 8-10 mths and that's aut the lifespan on both of these saws too before needing to replace parts on them.

I've owed 2 gryphons and I'm on my 4th inland :(

With that said though when they work fine they work fine lol

Price is better on the inland though so I won't buy another gryphon if they last about the same time ;)

Great input from someone who heavily uses the saws. What do you think about both saws in regard to clearance? Any other pros or cons to either saw or is basically price point that sells you on the Inland?

parrthed
11/03/2014, 07:27 PM
Never had any problems with my gryphon. You can remove the upper blade guide to gain a couple extra inches. Gryphon also makes a reef saw with larger clearance for those monster brains and such. I've had a inland and its not really in the same league as the gryphon. Also I have noticed inland saws out of stock everywhere for a while and when I ordered parts about a year ago I waited 3 months to get a upper wheel and a blade guide.

scottwhitson
11/10/2014, 12:28 PM
I went looking for an inland saw at a rock/hobby shop and he said that Inland went out of business.

organism
11/10/2014, 07:55 PM
I went looking for an inland saw at a rock/hobby shop and he said that Inland went out of business.

They look in-business to me...

http://www.inlandlapidary.com/default.asp

I've used both saws and prefer the Gryphon since it's really stable, the Inland is a great saw but if you do a lot of fragging and have the extra $150 or whatever it is then it's worth the upgrade.

POOLSCAPES
11/27/2014, 10:50 PM
I have a gryphon and it works great. My friend uses the inland it does the same job. The only problem I see is where you add water. Don't let it plug hard to clean it out.
I also have a tile saw. I would not want to use it for frags if I could. Great for cutting big rocks, a lot more clearance. Good luck.

NickReef17
12/01/2014, 10:43 PM
It will be worth the investment in the long run, but as for cheaper corals, a tile saw or dremel would work just fine

laverda
03/30/2015, 04:34 PM
I bought an inland saw on a group buy probably 2 years ago and used it a few times. Then it sat for a long time without use. 6 months ago when I want to use it again it was totally frozen. On disassembly I discovered the upper wheel bearing was totally rusted. Rusted so bad that it was impossible to disassemble without damaging the tension block and wheel.

For a saw that is supposed to be suitable for cutting corals and uses water to aid the cutting process, it is very poorly designed. There is no seal what so ever to keep water out of the upper bearing. My saw failed after very little use, necessitating replacement of the upper wheel, bearing, mounting bolt and tension block. The manufacture did not even acknowledge that their is an issue with the design when I questioned that their is no seal, slinger or shield to keep water away from the bearing. Any of which could easily be incorporated into the design.

Clearly Inland knows this is a problem since they sell these parts as a kit for $42.95. That does not makeup for poor design! Clearly their slogan "building what we'd like to own" is not the case. Who would want a saw that fails after less then 5 hours of use? I believe their may not have been any grease or the bearing when assembled for it to fail so prematurely. I also do not appropriate them charging over twice the actual cost of shipping for items that should be replaced under warranty.

Needless to say I will be spending the extra few cents to include a seal of some sort when I rebuild my saw.

My guess is this is the reason others have said their saws do not last more then a year usually. I am sure if I had use mine every day it would not have had the chance to rust solid, but still the bearing would inevitably fail long before it should.

I would recommend anyone buying the inland saw disassemble the upper wheel, lubricate the bearing and if nothing else add a thin rubber washer between the wheel and tension assembly and the wheel and circlip to act as a slinger to help keep water away from the bearing. I will be looking at mine closely and probably modify it to use sealed bearings.

Reeferz412
03/30/2015, 04:45 PM
Gryphon is the way to go. I bought one used for $200.00 on ebay. The only thing I hate is that I cant frag large rocks since the gap to cut the rocks is small.

ZoaNerd
04/26/2015, 10:11 AM
I have an inland saw. It works well.

They're expensive though if you're just a regular hobbyist.

You could take your corals to a LFS store and have them frag it for you at a price OR join the local reef club and get them to buy a saw for everyone to use in the club.