PDA

View Full Version : Help with coralline control please !!!

lllesley
10/24/2014, 08:10 PM
HI, I have just noticed this morning that Coralline is starting to encroach over some of my corals skeletons ?
My Trachy particularly seems to be a problem although some others as well.
I have got some amazing plating coralline which I like the look of, but not if its doing this.
Any suggestions on how to remove from coral skeletons, will it become a problem and take over completely or will the coral be ok ?
We have noticed that the trachy doesn't seem to open as much as he used to.

GT350pwns
10/24/2014, 09:38 PM
Have you tried just breaking it off?

lllesley
10/24/2014, 09:55 PM
Have you tried just breaking it off?

Trachy flesh so soft. Don't see how it's poosible without damaging him. ?

FirstContact
10/24/2014, 09:58 PM
You might try shooting for Ca levels around 415 ppm.

lllesley
10/24/2014, 10:30 PM
You might try shooting for Ca levels around 415 ppm.

Only run 420ppm anyway. ??? Would 5 ppm make any difference ?

Reefer4evaa
10/24/2014, 10:57 PM
Only run 420ppm anyway. ??? Would 5 ppm make any difference ?

Very doubtful that it will...i would try breaking it off and any other pieces close by or if possible try and move the coral to another spot

DasCamel
10/25/2014, 06:38 AM
The coraline does look beautiful.... It does look like you can break off the edges.

mluntz
10/25/2014, 08:05 AM
I love to hear people complain about it, meanwhile I can't grow any.

whosurcaddie
10/25/2014, 08:06 AM
I love to hear people complain about it, meanwhile I can't grow any.

Be thankful.

lllesley
10/25/2014, 01:40 PM
Be thankful.
Its lovely in the right places.
My trachy probably is not thinking its lovely as well as 2 bubble corals and an encrusting Gonipora.
Love it on the rocks but no so mush all over the skeletons of my corals.
Afraid my tank will end up looking like Pompeii with coralline statues all over the tank. lol

DamonG
10/25/2014, 01:45 PM
You should be able to easily break it. The strain I had was very brittle, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I wish I had some for my new system as that stuff is beautiful.. Just keep an eye on it though..

epon
10/25/2014, 01:48 PM
ime allowing coralline to dry kills it, maybe make high tide and try and turkey baster the coral to keep it moist and keep drying off the coralline along with chipping it away on the edges if possible. I'd start fragging this stuff if it was my tank, that wafering type isnt easy to find and super pretty. Nice problem to have.

lllesley
10/25/2014, 04:21 PM
ime allowing coralline to dry kills it, maybe make high tide and try and turkey baster the coral to keep it moist and keep drying off the coralline along with chipping it away on the edges if possible. I'd start fragging this stuff if it was my tank, that wafering type isnt easy to find and super pretty. Nice problem to have.
thanks for the advice.
This is not the only coral effected. I have 2 bubble corals and an encrusting red goni that is going down the same path. If it stays on the skeleton I am ok with that but no none seems to be able to tell me if it will actually close over the coral and kill it ?
Why is it everyone says wow your so lucky, i bet they wouldn't say that if was as out of control as this is !! grrrrrr.....lol

Nina51
10/25/2014, 05:12 PM
not sure if you want to go this route but a pincushion urchin will probably keep it in check. i have 2 in my 75g and they are constantly cruising the rocks. i wish they'd cruise the glass where i have to keep scraping it off with a razor blade!

lllesley
10/25/2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks. I had an urchin too but he never eats the spots I need eaten. Lol. Thanks though

epon
10/26/2014, 10:40 AM
Ive been thinking about this and looking back on my experiences and sometimes you have to let the tank lead you and not the other way around. Since you have this invasive waffering coralline it might mean you cant keep low fleshy corals with skeletons. Acros are tolerant of their bases being encroached. RBTA, fancy clowns and coralline species tank sounds neat. You might also try gel superglue on the leading edges to stop them encroaching or reverse the direction of growth.

Can we see a full tank shot or more closeups of the coralline?

lhm nole
10/26/2014, 11:12 AM
Ive been thinking about this and looking back on my experiences and sometimes you have to let the tank lead you and not the other way around. Since you have this invasive waffering coralline it might mean you cant keep low fleshy corals with skeletons. Acros are tolerant of their bases being encroached. RBTA, fancy clowns and coralline species tank sounds neat. You might also try gel superglue on the leading edges to stop them encroaching or reverse the direction of growth.

Can we see a full tank shot or more closeups of the coralline?

Super glue gel will not stop coraline will just grow right over it

Pomacanthus1
10/26/2014, 01:17 PM

If the coral skeleton was the right shape, you could try suspending the tissue part underwater while leaving the skeleton above water long enough to kill the coralline. I don't think that'd work for the Trachyphyllia, though. If the coralline isn't attached to the skeleton maybe try getting the Trachyphyllia to retract 100% and then break the algae away?