PDA

View Full Version : Stylophora with Clear Gel like bubbles

Ricks_Reef
10/25/2014, 12:49 PM
Hello,

I know you are going to want photos but this might be hard to catch on camera. But basically I have a Stylophora that has lots of clear gel like bubbles popping out on in lately. Mostly on the under sides of the branches where there isn't as much light. Now the rest of my SPS have shown recent growth but I'm guessing this is not that. Wondering if anyone has seen something that matches this description. None of them have polyps on them. Just looks like clear snot. I have not yet tried touching one to see if it is hard or soft yet. This coral also has a hosting acropora crab in it but it doesn't seem to pay it any mind.

====
Just as a quick update I gave them a couple puffs with a turkey baster and they are indead soft bubbles but it almost seems like the skin of the styophora is puffing or filling with water. Not a lot of experience with this coral as most I have watched grow are acropora. Is this normal?

knukles55
10/25/2014, 12:59 PM
ive heard of stylophora popping off buds and attaching along live rock in a tank....... maybe your getting reproduction juice floating around......

Piper27
10/26/2014, 08:01 AM
I have seen mine do that on the underside of it, looks like the polyp gets inflated. Went away in a short time frame and didnt see it again. I wouldnt worry but pics would help determine that of course.

Ricks_Reef
10/26/2014, 12:29 PM
It appears this must be normal activity. Most all of the bubbles have gone away and it looks more or less normal now with maybe 2 little ones left on it. It is an interesting coral as the most of the time it looks like a stony coral but when it inflates its skin the bubbles were more like a fox coral. Maybe stylophora falls somewhere between sps and lps.

Thanks for your replies though it gave me some ease of mind.