PDA

View Full Version : Running socks after reactor to reduce chances of HLLE?

Raul-7
10/25/2014, 12:58 PM
So I was thinking of the negative affects of running carbon. Would running a fine filter sock after the reactor solve that issue? Like in the range of 5-10 microns?

bertoni
10/25/2014, 02:26 PM
If you use a good quality, non-lignite carbon, rinse it reasonably well, and run it with low enough flow, I don't think that a sock will be necessary. I'm not sure how large the particles that cause HLLE are, so I can't recommend a filtration range.

AcroporAddict
10/26/2014, 12:32 AM
I run my GFO and GAC reactor output through a 50 micron sock, not for anything to do with HLLE, but to keep fines out of my sump, primarily GFO fines. I run my media reactors off a manifold off the return pump, and when I feed I turn the return off for 10 minutes. When the pump turns back on, it always pushes some air through the reactors when water starts flowing through them again, and it always makes the GFO shoot to the top of the reactor, even getting thru the sponge I keep at the top, and the sock catches any of those. I have five big healthy Tangs in this tank, and I think carbon causing HLLE is a myth. None of my Tangs have ever had it, and they have been in 24/7 GAC filtered water their entire lives, as I have raised them all from juvenile size.

IMO, a 5 micron sock would be a big PIA to keep clean. It would probably clog daily if not quicker than that, and is not really necessary for your stated purpose, at least IME.

Paul B
10/26/2014, 08:02 AM
Carbon is just one of many theories as to what causes HLLE and I don't believe it. But if carbon is the culprit, a filter sock would not do anything to fix it. IMO of course.

mm949
10/26/2014, 10:32 AM
^what he said^