PDA

View Full Version : Custom Aquarium Stand - San Francisco Bay Area

PeterBel
10/26/2014, 11:04 AM
Hi guys,

i am looking for a stand 36"H x 24"D x 50"W, anyone have a good suggestion for a custom stand builder in the SF Bay Area. I searched and the reference i found were from 2009/2010 and outdated.

Thanks,

maddmaxx
10/26/2014, 03:25 PM
your better off looking in your local section here on RC and checking your local reefing clubs in your area....

tkeracer619
10/27/2014, 08:55 PM
What are you looking for? Like suggested above you are better off looking at your local section but you may find answers here. Could also search the feedback section.

I've built stands with intricate carvings in them but keep my tanks on unfinished 2x4 stands :lol:. Custom can mean a lot. It really burns to pay good money and get something less than desirable. Good luck on the quest!

When I finally put in what I consider a permanent tank I will finish it out with oak panels like we did with this tank... which btw is pretty darn easy.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/criscaainc/900g/ISC_900g_4.jpg

PeterBel
10/28/2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, my issue is that i live in a Condo, no place to build the stand myself. I also got ride of most of my tools when i moved from my house to the Condo!

I was looking at something like this but with doors:

http://peterbel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/y5y2y9yv.jpg

It's for a 28G ehhehe the stand will be much bigger than the tank but i want to be able to put the sump and all my equipment in that stand. I also want to be able to eventually upgrade to a ~100g tank

tkeracer619
10/28/2014, 07:13 PM
It's a good looking stand. Good luck finding a quality builder. Someone will chime in.

SaltTinker
10/31/2014, 09:18 AM
There is the tried and true 2X4 framed stand with lag bolts. Doesn't take a lot of tools to build, but is open framed and cheap. A circular saw, drill, wrenches, and nuts/bolts/washers are all you need.

I got into woodworking to build my stand and hood. I still do both.

Find a woodworking club that rents tool time or go the cheap route.

PeterBel
10/31/2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at all the avenues, but i know exactly the stand i want to build/be built and i will stick to that plan for now. The design include space for Sump, storage, pod tank & shrimp tank underneath. I also have a lot of equipment including reactors, RO container, ATO, automatic water change containers (5g) and a full Apex controller and all the gadgets :-)

billdogg
10/31/2014, 05:33 PM
Find a woodworking club that rents tool time or go the cheap route.

If you have even basic skills a stand like that won't be too hard to put together. There are pay as you go sorta shops where, if you are able to demonstrate the ability (or take a class or two) you have access to a full sized shop with quality tools.

And FWIW - living in a 3rd floor apartment didn't stop me from building several stands.:fun2:

bsg
10/31/2014, 07:32 PM
Neptune Aquatics in San Jose has an in house woodshop and from what I saw when Robert showed me around they are going to be building amazing stands and canopy's. Look them up.

PeterBel
10/31/2014, 11:50 PM
Neptune Aquatics in San Jose has an in house woodshop and from what I saw when Robert showed me around they are going to be building amazing stands and canopy's. Look them up.

I saw their work, great looking stand but very expensive. My stand would be ~$2500 and i taught it was a little over the top. The wood is around $300, so that is $2200 for time, sealant, stain, hardware.

I decided to go in the middle. I will build the frame (the wood shop will cut the 2x4 and 2x6 to size for $1 per cut!) All i will have to do is put it together with my power drill :-)

The frame itself will cost about $75 for the wood, screws, cut and sealant.

I will proceed the same way for the skin, i'll have them cut to size and i will install, stain & seal myself.

The overall budget is now $500!