PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mower Blenny / Kole Tang

shesacharmer
10/27/2014, 05:49 AM
I've had a Lawn Mower Blenny for about four months and it's pretty good sized as it eats like a pig. I recently added a 3" Kole Tang and the Blenny is beating the crap out of it! First sign was a circular mark on the left rear flank. This morning the Tang has several marks on each side. Will this behavior subside? I don't think catching the Blenny will be an option unless I can get him with a bottle trap. :reading:

MondoBongo
10/27/2014, 09:57 AM
no, they are not compatible fish.

Ctenochaetus spp. does not mesh with Salarias spp.

shesacharmer
10/27/2014, 12:32 PM
I just looked at 5 different Marine Compatibility charts and they all said it was likely fine...not incompatible.

MondoBongo
10/27/2014, 01:03 PM
Maybe try showing them the charts?

When I had my kole he was in a never ending war against my blenny. Googling around shows similar results

Betta132
10/27/2014, 02:48 PM
Blenny is going "GET THE **** OUT OF MY EATIN' PLACE!" because he sees another algae eater.

RJT
10/27/2014, 03:12 PM
lawnmower blenny will kill the tang. They can be very mean when a tang is added.

alwaysthirsty
10/27/2014, 03:24 PM
Mine did the same 2years ago. Benny is still in the doghouse(aka sump)

woodnaquanut
10/27/2014, 04:50 PM
My Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus) gets chased by the Kole. I have not noticed any damage to either.

For some reason, every once in a while my One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus) gets a Blenny mouth sized 'hickey'. It's odd because they don't chase one another.

mastersonr
10/28/2014, 05:02 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a lawn mower blenny and was thinking of adding a Kole tang soon. Any chance they would get along better in a 150g?

Just Jim
10/29/2014, 05:05 AM
My achilles beat down my lawnmower blenny all the time, but being in a larger tank it lived about 6-7 years. I was about to get a new lawnmower and just saw this. Never heard this before, but it sounds kinda right now

A sea K
10/29/2014, 06:16 AM
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a lawn mower blenny and was thinking of adding a Kole tang soon. Any chance they would get along better in a 150g?

Not likely. I tried it in a 210 with no luck. My Kole kept after the blenny until he ultimately perished.

SecretiveFish
10/29/2014, 08:20 AM
Maybe try showing them the charts?

When I had my kole he was in a never ending war against my blenny. Googling around shows similar results

Exact same experience I had in a 150. The Kole tang would attack the blenny anytime he saw it.

snorvich
10/29/2014, 02:10 PM
Whoever was there first feels that they own that ecological niche. But if you show them the charts, they may decide to file a truce.

:love1:

But probably not.

kendrid
10/29/2014, 08:25 PM
I have a Starry and Kole and I am sitting here watching them eat off of the same algae sheet right now. I guess they saw the compatibility charts telling them to be friends because they never fight.

peasofme
10/30/2014, 06:36 AM
the charts i've seen are terrible

Betta132
10/30/2014, 08:47 AM
That's because they're trying to stuff fish in tiny little white boxes and that doesn't work too terribly well.

Moort82
10/30/2014, 03:26 PM
They are both detrivores so are in competition with one another. You will have more luck with blennies who have different diets such as bicolours, midas etc.

rjallen
10/30/2014, 03:40 PM
I have a Kole that is a bit of a bully to a Diamond Goby and my Lawnmower Blenny. He bothers no other fish. The goby just goes the other way when Mr. Kole approaches. The blenny is little more aggressive fights back. He will take up a perch in the coral where he is somewhat protected and lunge with open mouth. Kole backs off. The Kole sometimes try to bite the Blenny's back. The bristle tooth mouth is ineffective, leaving no marks as the blenny just sits there.
I really think my Kole is just a bully with fish that eat algae. There is no evidence of lethal intent by either fish.

Triggerfish
02/22/2015, 07:24 PM
had a kole for few months then added a lawnmower it was a relentless assault on the blenny.
got rid of the kole tang.
was just thinking today if adding a kole now would result in similar actions. seems to be it would.

Triggerfish
02/22/2015, 07:26 PM
Not likely. I tried it in a 210 with no luck. My Kole kept after the blenny until he ultimately perished.

you added the kole after the blenny?

raybyrne67
02/23/2015, 11:12 AM
My Kole Tang killed a starry blenny within 2 weeks. Tangs are territorial with algae feeders.

MondoBongo
02/23/2015, 12:27 PM

i added my kole tang long after my lawnmower blenny had been established.

results were the same.

however my yellow tang doesn't give a flying fart about the blenny's presence.

A sea K
02/24/2015, 11:25 AM

Almost can't recall but I feel like the Kole was in there first.

saf1
02/24/2015, 11:18 PM
I am still giggling over the maybe you should show them the chart comments :). Although I did learn something new because this is the first time I have heard this. So noted. I like kole tangs but have a bi color Blenny so it will wait even though it may be safe.

nigeldcat
02/25/2015, 11:42 PM
I agree they are competitors for the same food . Blenny was established and Kole was competitor. You might try some rock rearranging, but at 75G there is not much room for Tang to run.

I am sure some have succeeded with same pair, you just got two that may not want to ever play nice.