PDA

View Full Version : High Water Pressure

this is me
10/27/2014, 02:36 PM
I just moved into a new place and the water pressure here is more than 85psi. I'm sure during the summer it will be higher. Does this negatively affect the life and performance of the filter? I have a MaxCap.

OCRick
10/28/2014, 12:16 AM
Does your house have a pressure reducing valve where the waterline comes into your house? If so, you can adjust your water pressure there.

SpectraPure
10/28/2014, 08:41 AM
RO membranes love high pressure, but the housings have some upper limit for pressure so our policy is to warranty systems with no more than 80 psi.

Support at SpectraPure

this is me
10/28/2014, 10:03 AM
The house does have a pressure valve. However, the water line going outside goes not. I hook up the RODI filter to spigot used for the garden since I use the waste water to water the lawn. Otherwise, the town will charge me for water and sewage if I connect to the inside-house water line. I will have to look at ways to reduce the pressure.

SpectraPure
10/28/2014, 10:31 AM
We have a pressure regulator that would be perfect. One thing though! Make sure that the system is not always in the light. algae will crud your filters up if left out in the light. Here is the link to the pressure regulator.

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/PLUMBING/Pressure-Regulator-Valve/Pressure-Regulator-Valve-0-125psi-w-1-4in-quick-connect-fittings

The pressure regulator will work perfectly to reduce your pressure. If you are using a garden hose adapter cant you just turn the water on to a certain point, or is the pressure so high that even turning it on a little bit provides 85 psi?

Jeremy

this is me
10/28/2014, 01:42 PM
We have a pressure regulator that would be perfect. One thing though! Make sure that the system is not always in the light. algae will crud your filters up if left out in the light. Here is the link to the pressure regulator.

http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/PLUMBING/Pressure-Regulator-Valve/Pressure-Regulator-Valve-0-125psi-w-1-4in-quick-connect-fittings

The pressure regulator will work perfectly to reduce your pressure. If you are using a garden hose adapter cant you just turn the water on to a certain point, or is the pressure so high that even turning it on a little bit provides 85 psi?

Jeremy

Jeremy,
Thanks! That's a good point! I can just turn the garden spigot valve half way or until the pressure reading is 80psi.
The filter is inside in the basement but I get my water from outside garden hose and waste water goes back out to the yard for the lawn.

SpectraPure
10/28/2014, 01:49 PM
Nick,

I am very happy to help out. If you ever need any advice on optimizing your system, or automating your water changes please let me know.

Jeremy

this is me
10/28/2014, 03:26 PM
Jeremy,
I might take you up on that. The MaxCap filter I got comes with the float which I think supposed to turn off the water when the container is full(?) I need to read on the instruction again but I'm having a hard time understanding how it works. I was going to use a float sensor through my controller and a water solenoid to shut off the supply line to the filter when the reservior is full.

SpectraPure
10/28/2014, 04:11 PM
Use your sensor, but place the float above the high sensor as a back-up. The solenoid should go in-between the carbon block and the membrane. It is a black piece of tubing, and it has a red probe wire in it for the tds meter. You always want to put solenoids after the pre-filters to protect them from particulates.

The float has a built in bulk head fitting. You drill a 3/8 hole in the reservoir, and then you place the shaft through the inside of the reservoir. there is a compression nut to secure the blue pure water tube to. The yellow is the waste water tube. That should go down the drain. The black tube is the feed water, and it should be hooked up to tap water.

Jeremy

this is me
10/29/2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks Jeremy.

SpectraPure
10/30/2014, 02:53 PM
Nick,

Anytime! I am just happy to help. Please let me know if you ever need anything.

Jeremy

Miller_Time
02/03/2015, 09:11 AM
Hate to bump this back from the dead, but Jeremy your link for the pressure reducer doesn't seem to be good any longer. Do you still carry this?

I am looking at just over 100 psi for my system and would like to back that down a bit for safety reasons.

Thanks!

SpectraPure
02/03/2015, 11:37 AM
It was removed from our website accidentally. It will be added in the near future, but in the meantime call if you are interested you can email [email protected]

Jeremy