PDA

View Full Version : Cannot dissolve salt, a reason for high Ca and Mg ?

Ontheway
10/28/2014, 04:22 AM
I am using a salt in two parts, additional elements added as a seperate liquid during mix. The problem is, since cannot fully dissolve th salt, I am using a bit more of required amount (as weight), to reach 1025 salinity. Never measured Ca and MG in the mix but, the mix increased my Ca and Mg levels in the aquarium, while salinity remained same, as planned. Is it possible to have target salinity with high Ca and Mg, when you fail to completely dissolve the salt?

bertoni
10/28/2014, 01:48 PM
A bit of solids left over is fairly normal. How much isn't dissolving? If the salt is having problems, I'd expect the calcium and magnesium to be lower than they were supposed to be, but some salt mixes have very high calcium and magnesium levels by design.

intyme
10/28/2014, 07:34 PM
Cold water?

Ontheway
11/10/2014, 01:35 PM
No, not cold water, heated. Just switched to good-old reef crystals, melting instantly under same conditions. Hope this helps to normalize ca levels, actually the former salt was known with slightly high ca.mg levels. Anyway thanks for the comments.

bertoni
11/10/2014, 08:23 PM
Hmm, cold water actually is better for dissolving salt products, although I'm not sure it'd make a difference here.