PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reviews (and advice) for Reefbar Pro LED fixtures

Coelli
10/28/2014, 09:35 AM
I hope to be upgrading to a 40 breeder setup in the next couple of months and am looking at the 36" Reefbar Pro as a lighting option. I'm thinking two of the 36" fixtures. (http://http://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_36_full_spectrum_p/rbpfs36.htm) Does anyone have experience with these?

You can buy a controller for them, but I'd like to hook them up to my Apex VDM (I have the VDM module currently running 3 channels of LEDs on my nano). Any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks!

Wangspeed
10/30/2014, 12:45 PM
I'm using the non-pro version for color tuning in my T5 setup. The controller is the same basic controller that Current USA offers, just rebranded. I did find 1 review of the pro version somewhere. I think from the "other" site.

chazman113
12/07/2014, 09:35 AM
I have the "regular" Reefbars I bought on ebay. I used one 36" strip for my FOWLR setup and it has worked great for about a year. I'm getting back in to coral game and added a 36" acintic. Two digital timers for $9 on amazon and an extra 12v power supply I scavenged from an old router and I'm set for dusk dawn and daylight. It's pretty darn bright for the $100 total I spent. Should be good for softies. Might add another 36" 12k depending on how the coral responds. They could die about 5 times and still be less money than some of the "Retail" led system you see online.

Mldukes
12/09/2014, 01:41 PM
I just started using the reefbar pro ultra actinic to supplement t5s. First off, the red leds over power everything. I had to cover them so I could actually use that channel. So in light of that Id only recommend the all blue strip or the 50/50. For the price the sunsetter controller is nice but you only have a ramp up/down time of 30 minutes or less. I don't like that at all. You can however control the max and min intensity desired. Moonlight feature is cool as both channels can be set to run as moonlights at diff intensities. I set one channel to drop to 3% for an hour. When it kicks off the 2nd channel runs at 1%. Kinda cool since it gives you a staggared moonlight effect. Overall construction is nice no heat sink so running both channels at 100% it gets HOT! I mounted mine in a canopy with 2x3" cooling fans directly above and it runs nice and cool now. Minus the red leds, this fixture offers great color, intensity, flourescence, and shimmer. There are some improvements that could be made on the controller features but it is very easy to use and program. Anyway, just thought Id share my input. There's not a lot of reviews out there yet. overall id give it a 7/10. Great option if your wanting to supplement your existing lighting with an affordable controllable fixture.

Edit: the cloud cover and thunderstorm features are cool but it's pretty well just something to show off to friends. It is a manual feature only. Which means you cannot program random weather thru out the cycle.

4Hummer
12/09/2014, 10:54 PM
Have 4 regular reef bars. As actinic supplement to my T5H0. Love em

chazman113
12/11/2014, 09:48 AM
Have 4 regular reef bars. As actinic supplement to my T5H0. Love em

Whatcha got as stock? I have two reg ones right now and I'm thinking 3 total (2 12k and 1 blue) will be enough for the Zoa/Soft coral tank I'm starting. It seems bright enough! From the description (Grain of salt, I know) it says with my depths I should be getting around 100 par.

4Hummer
01/29/2015, 09:31 AM
Whatcha got as stock? I have two reg ones right now and I'm thinking 3 total (2 12k and 1 blue) will be enough for the Zoa/Soft coral tank I'm starting. It seems bright enough! From the description (Grain of salt, I know) it says with my depths I should be getting around 100 par.

Cheap 72" Odyssea 4Bulb T5H0

Growing corals no problem with the above Lamp plus the 4 reefbars

cjdug
03/05/2015, 02:00 PM
Anyone use the actinics to supplement their halides. would you be able to tell they were on with a 250watt Radium running ? i like the blue look and a dusk dawn effect. does any one know if they are as bright as the build my leds actinic's ? the price difference is more than half.

Remmers
05/05/2015, 06:13 PM
Anyone use the actinics to supplement their halides. would you be able to tell they were on with a 250watt Radium running ? i like the blue look and a dusk dawn effect. does any one know if they are as bright as the build my leds actinic's ? the price difference is more than half.

Did you ever find a answer? I just picked up a bunch these and I was going to supplement the 2 250watt radium 20k mh over my 180

Hudsonsreef
05/29/2015, 02:25 PM
anybody have pictures of what these lights look like on their tank?

JJ70
05/29/2015, 09:54 PM
I would be interested to know how they are with MH as well. Thinking about putting them with 2x250 14K's.

chazman113
10/24/2015, 11:04 AM
Just an update the same seller now sells "spotlight" style pendants. I just order 2 20w 20k lights so I can start putting in some more advanced coral. Currently have 4 36" reefbars on my tank. Will post updates when I get em in.

wildman926
10/24/2015, 12:20 PM
Cheap 72" Odyssea 4Bulb T5H0

Growing corals no problem with the above Lamp plus the 4 reefbars

I have a similar setup. However, I upgraded the ballasts to ATI ballasts from Premium Aquatics, and run a combo of Giesemann and ATI bulbs, 2 Reef Pro bars, and one BML Super Actinic.

chazman113
11/06/2015, 02:36 PM
So I got the "Pendants" he sells and they were SUPER bright. However, the color temp on the "20k" wasn't very good, looked more like a household bulb. I called and the guy replaced my order with a 50/50 "reefbar pro" easily. He even shipped me the new ones before recieving the old ones. Just got the reefbar pro and I'm very happy. It's low profile, simple design, and very bright. I'm using the 1 48" as my main light for my 55 gallon softie tank. I have the old blue "classic reefbars" as my supplemental "dusk/dawn" lighting. I"ll probably upgrade to a blue reefbar pro down the line. Overall happy with product/service.