PDA

View Full Version : Small Crosshatch Triggers Going Into QT - What To Feed?

nuxx
10/29/2014, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

I have a pair of small Crosshatch Triggers going into QT on Friday.

The Male is 3.5" and the female is 3". What should I offer them to get them eating?

Thanks! :spin3:

shifty99
10/29/2014, 03:43 PM
I would try PE Mysis. My pair loved it as most triggers do. BTW where did you find such a small pair...that is a nice score!

bullitr
10/29/2014, 03:47 PM
It takes couple of days for them to eat but they will eat everything and anything

I have 3 small one right now and be careful male sometimes change to female vice versa
We have 4 male change to female and 3 female change to male in our group

nuxx
10/29/2014, 03:50 PM
I would try PE Mysis. My pair loved it as most triggers do. BTW where did you find such a small pair...that is a nice score!

http://www.coralimports.com - Last pair...

I'll try the Mysis I have a bunch. Also have some brine and baby brine.

It takes couple of days for them to eat
I have 3 small one right now and be careful male sometimes change to female vice versa
We have 4 male change to female and 3 female change to male in our group

If the male (has male coloration) and female are kept together, should they stay male and female? Or does that not matter?

Should I wait a few days to get them eating before starting Prazi?

bullitr
10/29/2014, 03:52 PM
http://www.coralimports.com

I'll try the Mysis I have a bunch. Also have some brine and baby brine.

If the male (has male coloration) and female are kept together, should they stay male and female? Or does that not matter?

Should I wait a few days to get them eating before starting Prazi?

All of the male that switch to female have full coloration vice versa. Regarding prazipro they are not that sensitive to it as bandit.

nuxx
10/29/2014, 03:53 PM
All of the male that switch to female have full coloration vice versa. Regarding prazipro they are not that sensitive to it as bandit.

K just didn't want it to inhibit their eating.

Dmorty217
10/29/2014, 06:11 PM
Feed enriched mysis with selcon and vitachem.

nuxx
10/30/2014, 08:57 AM
Cool guys thanks :)

SDguy
10/30/2014, 09:00 AM
Chopped up clams. Fish can't resist clams. They are just a bit messy for a QT tank, so have new water ready for water changes.

nuxx
10/30/2014, 09:02 AM
Chopped up clams. Fish can't resist clams. They are just a bit messy for a QT tank, so have new water ready for water changes.

Yeah planning on having two 50 gallon barrels full of mixed saltwater... going to be running 3 QTs at once here...

ahmed_iAM
10/30/2014, 09:19 AM
I fed my blue throat a clams, mysis and squid. Just placed it in the tank and the trigger, my clowns and yellow tang would demolish it in 2 minutes.

nuxx
10/30/2014, 09:20 AM
Just buy fresh un-frozen clams?

Like from Whole Foods or something?

anbosu
10/30/2014, 09:58 AM
I would freeze first to kill anything on the clam, but you can buy them from the grocery.

nuxx
10/30/2014, 09:59 AM
I would freeze first to kill anything on the clam, but you can buy them from the grocery.

Never thought of that...

PMazz
10/30/2014, 08:32 PM
LRS reef frenzy - all of my finicky fish love it. I add vitachem and garlic to the mixture as well.

humaguy
10/31/2014, 12:08 PM
LRS reef frenzy - all of my finicky fish love it. I add vitachem and garlic to the mixture as well.

agree with feeding larry's reef frenzy but do not add garlic...and no real need to add vitachem...

PMazz
10/31/2014, 09:03 PM
agree with feeding larry's reef frenzy but do not add garlic...and no real need to add vitachem...

I don't understand why you would say "do not add garlic". It entices the fish to eat and causes no harm what so ever. Also vitachem is a composed of a bunch of vitamins for fish. It helps with keeping the fish healthy.

bullitr
11/01/2014, 12:41 AM
I think the reef frenzy already have probiotics plus this fish never have issue feeding. It may take a week for them to acclimate but they will eat anything and everything once comfortable

humaguy
11/01/2014, 03:59 PM
I don't understand why you would say "do not add garlic". It entices the fish to eat and causes no harm what so ever. Also vitachem is a composed of a bunch of vitamins for fish. It helps with keeping the fish healthy.

there is research that suggests garlic causes issues with their livers...do a search in here...feeding fish a wide variety of fresh and quality frozen foods makes additives unnecessary, imho...

nuxx
11/03/2014, 10:23 AM
They eat everything!

Even ate some Dr G's anti-parasitic food I had laying around.

BTW: What do you think is up with the female? Had some red blotches on her back half (ammonia burn from shipping?) and a dark mark on the top back fin.

The red marks have receded, but still has the dark mark on her top fin.

Was planning on starting PraziPro soon and then ramping up Cupramine. Anything else I should treat with?

Here's a video:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EV8uL9A1F5w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gobolts23
11/03/2014, 03:53 PM
Fish look good. Crosshatch triggers always come in a bit rough because they literally are ripped out of the reef by hand. I probably would not treat with cupramine unless external parasites are present. Prazi Pro is always a safe bet for wild caught fish though. Good luck!

nuxx
11/03/2014, 11:30 PM
Feeling like I might do 2 treatments of PraziPro then 3-4 weeks of Paraguard each day.

Seems like it'll be pretty easy on the fish and should take care of most things to look out for.

RDtrack
11/04/2014, 12:33 PM
Why treat with anything. I would just observe. If something presents treat. I get nervous treating with anything until something shows. Afraid I'm going to do more harm. I do however like/recommend FW dips.

Triggers are normal pretty hardy so I would just observe.

I've personally had more of problem getting them to eat good; once they do they are pigs.

humaguy
11/04/2014, 01:51 PM
Crosshatch triggers always come in a bit rough because they literally are ripped out of the reef by hand.

Please explain....

nuxx
11/04/2014, 03:03 PM
Basically want to treat since I just hypoed my whole display since I was paranoid that I got ich... turns out I didn't, but still wasted months doing hypo... just want to be extra careful...

gobolts23
11/04/2014, 07:30 PM
Please explain....

I have been on a bunch of dives with collectors of crosshatch triggers in hawaii and then red tail triggers in the carribean. The triggers hang above the reef and then dart into the reef/rock work. Then you either stick your hand in there and grab them or you put a barrier net around the exits and use a tickle stick to scare them out. They usually look a little rough especially if you keep them in a collection bucket together. (sometimes they even bite your hand when you grab them to needle them)...gloves are a must when dealing with these guys underwater.

nuxx
11/05/2014, 10:31 AM
I have been on a bunch of dives with collectors of crosshatch triggers in hawaii and then red tail triggers in the carribean. The triggers hang above the reef and then dart into the reef/rock work. Then you either stick your hand in there and grab them or you put a barrier net around the exits and use a tickle stick to scare them out. They usually look a little rough especially if you keep them in a collection bucket together. (sometimes they even bite your hand when you grab them to needle them)...gloves are a must when dealing with these guys underwater.

Videos? ;)

Noticed basically on the upper and lower rear fins where the dark coloration was are missing. Bacterial? Fin rot? Just damaged?

Also saw a patch of light colored grey on one of her sides.

I went ahead and started treating with ParaGuard yesterday. Not sure if flukes or something else.

I'll try to get a video later.

gobolts23
11/05/2014, 12:09 PM
It could have been ammonia burn from being in the bag. I would just feed high quality foods and keep a close eye on them. I have learned over the years not to treat with meds unless you really need to. When I would get crosshatches shipped to me from Oahu I would usually buy a couple dozen live mussels from the grocery store and freeze them and feed a few daily to get their appetites going. They really bulk up with all that protein!

nuxx
11/05/2014, 12:12 PM
It could have been ammonia burn from being in the bag. I would just feed high quality foods and keep a close eye on them. I have learned over the years not to treat with meds unless you really need to. When I would get crosshatches shipped to me from Oahu I would usually buy a couple dozen live mussels from the grocery store and freeze them and feed a few daily to get their appetites going. They really bulk up with all that protein!

Yeah they will eat everything I've tossed in there.

Mysis, Brine, Baby Brine, Pellets, Flakes, Dr.G's Anti-parasitic, Rods, etc...

Big pigs...

BTW: Do you think that the mark on the side or fins were ammonia?

It was funny I noticed they moved all the PVC around this morning...

nuxx
11/05/2014, 12:36 PM
Here's a video of the pair from a minute ago.

You can see the blotches on the female, especially towards the end of the video.

What do you think? Burns, Flukes, etc...?

Also do they look pretty happy with each other? Anything looking like aggression?

Thanks!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5zctmlscY9o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

humaguy
11/05/2014, 12:59 PM

Thank you for the clarification...
I lived on Kauai from 88-89 and was also lucky to spend some time with quality divers/collectors. I would say they were never violent or aggressive with their catching methods, if anything, they were extraordinarily patient and gentle to the point where they didn't want to damage the surrounding rock/reef...
ime, imho, the large ch, esp the males, ship poorly due to their size, depth of collection, and refusal to eat after collection...
there are probably some collectors in Hawaii that do a very poor job.
I just don't want people to think all ch are poorly collected, especially when we have perhaps the most honest collecting outfit in the industry, located in Hawaii, and they provide many of us with killer quality livestock...

Ted

humaguy
11/05/2014, 01:01 PM
Here's a video of the pair from a minute ago.

You can see the blotches on the female, especially towards the end of the video.

What do you think? Burns, Flukes, etc...?

Also do they look pretty happy with each other? Anything looking like aggression?

Thanks!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5zctmlscY9o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

she is being attacked by the male...there is a huge bite mark on her upper fin that was not there in the other video...is he letting her eat? she is very thin...put the male in an iso box, asap... he is going to killer or she will starve...put up a video during a feeding...

humaguy
11/05/2014, 01:04 PM
how big is their qt?

nuxx
11/05/2014, 02:08 PM
she is being attacked by the male...there is a huge bite mark on her upper fin that was not there in the other video...is he letting her eat? she is very thin...put the male in an iso box, asap... he is going to killer or she will starve...put up a video during a feeding...

I'm putting up a video right now.

I still haven't seen ANY aggression between the two.

They are roughly 3.5 - 4" inches. How much should I be feeding a day?

Just ramp up feedings and change the water more frequently?

Both the areas where the fins are missing were dark colored when she came out of the bag. I don't think they were kept together originally.

See anything alarming in this video?

Thanks for all your help :)

BTW: 40 Gallon Breeder

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JWJMt98ClPA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nuxx
11/05/2014, 02:57 PM
Hey Humaguy,

Did screen shots from Day 1 and today.

Where the fin is missing on the Female looks exactly where they were "dark" when I let her out into the tank.

Do you think either the male just went after those exact pieces of fin (maybe knew it wasn't right) or fin rot / bacterial?

Thanks!

http://s29.postimg.org/ganygsruv/chrosshatch_Fins.jpg

humaguy
11/05/2014, 03:04 PM
I'm putting up a video right now.

I still haven't seen ANY aggression between the two.

They are roughly 3.5 - 4" inches. How much should I be feeding a day?

Just ramp up feedings and change the water more frequently?

Both the areas where the fins are missing were dark colored when she came out of the bag. I don't think they were kept together originally.

See anything alarming in this video?

Thanks for all your help :)

BTW: 40 Gallon Breeder

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JWJMt98ClPA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cool, no that looks great..he is getting her at some point, maybe when it is dark or when you are not around...
in the 2nd video you posted, there is a large piece of her upper fin missing, that is piece is still intact in the 1st video, though that same area was black and looked like a healing bite mark....

nuxx
11/05/2014, 03:07 PM
cool, no that looks great..he is getting her at some point, maybe when it is dark or when you are not around...
in the 2nd video you posted, there is a large piece of her upper fin missing, that is piece is still intact in the 1st video, though that same area was black and looked like a healing bite mark....

Did you see the screen shots?

The missing pieces are on the same areas where the fins looked damaged out of the bag.

Do you think based on the video of them eating and maybe the screen shot that I should leave them be and watch for any signs of further aggression?

Would non-paired fish maybe nip here and there when first introduced?

Does it seem as dire a situation as before you saw the feeding video?

Also how much to feed and does the tank size seem ok?

Sorry for all the questions, just want them to make it through QT.

humaguy
11/05/2014, 03:21 PM
Hey Humaguy,

Did screen shots from Day 1 and today.

Where the fin is missing on the Female looks exactly where they were "dark" when I let her out into the tank.

Do you think either the male just went after those exact pieces of fin (maybe knew it wasn't right) or fin rot / bacterial?

Thanks!

http://s29.postimg.org/ganygsruv/chrosshatch_Fins.jpg

in pic 1- on her upper fin, in the red margin, are two black marks....the black is like a bruise- the piece was bitten but not torn off...
in pic 2- on her upper fin, in the red margin, is one black mark as the other was part of the fin that was bitten off...

these wounds are typical of many trigs but perhaps x trigs more due to their long fins...they are easy to bite...

humaguy
11/05/2014, 03:26 PM
Did you see the screen shots?

The missing pieces are on the same areas where the fins looked damaged out of the bag.

Do you think based on the video of them eating and maybe the screen shot that I should leave them be and watch for any signs of further aggression?

Would non-paired fish maybe nip here and there when first introduced?

Does it seem as dire a situation as before you saw the feeding video?

Also how much to feed and does the tank size seem ok?

Sorry for all the questions, just want them to make it through QT.

these fish are too young to be properly paired-up. sexually..when there is 1 male and 1 female it doesn't mean you have a love affair, in fact, it may lead to issues...I currently have 2 m ch that I got 2-3 years ago as 1 male and 1 female...they were both around 2.50 inches...the male was brutal towards the female and I caught her and placed her an isolation box...she got back at him later and turned male...

Deinonych
11/05/2014, 10:29 PM

How deep were these dives? I ask because Crosshatch triggers are very rarely seen at recreational depths on the main Hawaiian Islands.

bullitr
11/05/2014, 10:39 PM
these fish are too young to be properly paired-up. sexually..when there is 1 male and 1 female it doesn't mean you have a love affair, in fact, it may lead to issues...I currently have 2 m ch that I got 2-3 years ago as 1 male and 1 female...they were both around 2.50 inches...the male was brutal towards the female and I caught her and placed her an isolation box...she got back at him later and turned male...

My friend have 3 female all turn male after few weeks another friend his male turn to female after couple of months and i have 2 males turn to female in 6 months i guess its hard pair them up if they are this small.

nuxx
11/05/2014, 10:56 PM

Do you still feel I should separate them?

Or based on the feeding video think they are ok for now?

bullitr
11/05/2014, 10:59 PM
I had so many small one in the past, separating them helps by removing the aggressor then reintroducing in after a week should help

nuxx
11/05/2014, 11:02 PM
Still weird we've spent a lot of time watching them both in the room and remotely.

Never seen the male go after her at all :/

Have seen him flash at the glass though, mostly the bottom.

nuxx
11/06/2014, 10:40 AM
Update: No additional fin/body damage this morning. Looks the same as yesterday :)

nuxx
12/03/2014, 04:13 PM
Well they made it out of QT...

Didn't end up separating them and didn't see any more signs of aggression.

They are now in the DT and getting a little harassed by the Yellow Bellied Blue Tang... I think it'll die down a bit though.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/33RVI8BxyLE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SDguy
12/03/2014, 06:15 PM
I personally would have kept them in QT longer. Can you maybe turn off the halides for a day or two? Doesn't look like they appreciate the bright light.

nuxx
12/03/2014, 06:26 PM
I personally would have kept them in QT longer. Can you maybe turn off the halides for a day or two? Doesn't look like they appreciate the bright light.

Hey Peter,

They went through 28 days of getting a dose of ParaGuard each day. Also went through three rounds of PraziPro.

Only thing I noticed was the female had cloudy eye about 3-4 days in. After the first day of PraziPro it was cleared up. Didn't notice anything since.

The LEDs are turned down to 65%, normally run 100%. Should I lower them more?

SDguy
12/03/2014, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I was thinking more of just acclimating them. IME fish don't REALLY settle in for a couple months, and with this genus of trigger I just think that's a special point to consider. Also, I prefer waiting a few weeks after any meds, to make sure everything "worked" as expected.

I personally do ambient room light for a day or two, then just actinic of something similar, for another couple days.

nuxx
12/03/2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks Peter.

Went ahead and lowered the lighting to lower intensity and mostly actinic.

I normally would have waited another week or two, just going out of town for a few days next week. Wanted to see how they acted in the tank before leaving and didn't want our house sitter messing with QT tanks.

SDguy
12/04/2014, 09:35 PM
How are they doing today?

nuxx
12/04/2014, 09:38 PM
Much better. More adventurous. Not going all the way across the tank, but half way :)

SDguy
12/04/2014, 09:38 PM
Great news!

nuxx
12/05/2014, 10:13 AM
Great news!

More and more curious today. Also the male Flame Wrasse is finally out and about...

SDguy
12/05/2014, 10:54 AM
Are they both eating well?

nuxx
12/05/2014, 11:02 AM
Are they both eating well?

Yeah like pigs.

Feed them in the morning and evening. Mix of Mysis, Brine Shrimp, Rods Original and Predator.

They also seem to go after flakes and pellets.