PDA

View Full Version : Wide open advice opportunity! 29G startup

gmgaj
10/29/2014, 04:54 PM
I'm completely new to reef aquariums. I have been reading and have a few ideas of what I want and what I think I need to start out. I'm looking to set up a basic tank and not get too tech-y on it yet. I'm an engineer--that will come soon enough.

Here's what I have:

29G standard (30 X 12 X 18) with stand and hood with single standard flourescent bulb. That's it. There is about 2 1/2" of crushed coral in the bottom (at least that is what the guy who sold it to me said, but then again, he said it was a 40 gallon). The whole setup was too cheap to pass up, so I figured I'll set it up and have a go at it. Aside from that, I'm wide open to setting things up. My only criteria is that I don't want to spend a fortune(but I know it won't be cheap), and I don't really need all of the latest gadgets. This is an easy entry attempt. I'm going to try to realistic enough to not get in over my head right away. Again, that will come soon enough. :D

So far, the only thing I think I want is some zoas. I haven't seen anything firsthand, so there aren't any preferences there yet. I would like to keep things easy to keep for this first go. I suspect that if it works out well, I'll probably end up with a bigger, more advanced tank.

So what would you all recommend for a completely green (aside from some reading on RC) noob with an empty, undrilled 29 gallon aquarium? I'm still working on a equipment/supplies list, but it keeps changing. I'll withhold that info for now so I won't skew any responses. Thanks for the responses, and the helpful site to research on!

ShannyG
10/29/2014, 05:23 PM
Howdy!
I'm pretty darn new too but I built a saltwater tank on a budget by running multiple conventional filters (the kind that hang off the back of the tank). That's all I have; no powerheads, protein skimmer, sump, nothing. The water moves around just the right amount for my corals and fish, and if you get two filters the same you can save by buying replacement filter media in bulk. I would try a couple of Aqueon 50 gallon filters (or bigger); they're cheap as dirt at the big chain stores.
Other than that, lighting is never cheap. Prepare to dig deep to get adequate lighting. And good luck; it's a lot of fun!

mcgyvr
10/29/2014, 05:23 PM
First tip...ditch the crushed coral.. The particle size of that tends to allow crap to hide and rot...sand is the way to go
Then read all of reefcentral :)

Start simple..learn how to cycle a tank and go from there..by that time you will have read it all here again

acabgd
10/29/2014, 05:38 PM
First tip...ditch the crushed coral..
+1
Also, read the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum on how to set up a new tank. Then read build threads of others with similar tanks. Look at the photos, check out their livestock choices and the problems they encountered. You will soon get a much better idea on how to handle this.

billdogg
10/29/2014, 05:39 PM
First tip...ditch the crushed coral.. The particle size of that tends to allow crap to hide and rot...sand is the way to go
Then read all of reefcentral :)

Start simple..learn how to cycle a tank and go from there..by that time you will have read it all here again

^^^What he said^^^

I also agree that you can keep a successful tank using a HOB filter. I ran a 60g tank for 22 years using a dual biowhell penguin (marineland) emperor and a canister filter. Neither was ideal, but 23 years ago nobody would even thing twice about that method. The hobby has advanced quite a bit since then, so there are better? methods that will make the experience easier.

The biggest problem you will have (besides the crushed coral) is your lighting. A single NO (normal output) bulb will work for a fish only tank, but that's about it, because the fish just don't care. Get your tank up and cycled, and then get a couple small fish. Learn to care for them as you explore the options available to you, and then as you upgrade (really, everything) you can begin to keep the simpler "corals" like zoanthids and mushrooms.

If the bug bites you harder and harder, you will find the need (or excuse) to get a larger tank, better filtration, better lighting, etc... Then is the time to start an actual piece of reef in your living room!

Welcome to Reef Central!

Xavibear
10/29/2014, 09:05 PM
Get rid of the crushed coral. Buy an rodi filter & a good light.

Read the stickies up top.

gmgaj
10/30/2014, 06:07 AM
I forgot to mention that we have an RO under the sink already. In in good shape there. Now to find sand and rock...

gmgaj
10/30/2014, 06:27 AM
Would it be a problem if I used a hob filter rated for 50-70 gallons in a 29 gallon tank? It lists the rate at 350 gph. I found a deal on one and thought I need to check before buying it.

novadan67
10/30/2014, 09:38 AM
I also started with a standard 29 gallon tank... about 6 months ago. Like you, I am an engineer and like to "engineer" things. :) So I built a DIY sump, overflows, etc, etc. You can check out my build here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405506

My best advice would be to take it slow and read as much as you can on this site. Also, I know you are not trying to get tech-y and your tank is not drilled, but if I were you, I'd get it drilled. Life is so much better with a sump.

AdamNC
10/30/2014, 09:58 AM
I started with mine sumpless and although it's not bad it could be much better with a sump and I do not want to get a siphon overflow. I've heard too many issues with them. The HOB filter is fine, saltwater needs higher flow then fresh water whether it be a reef or a fowlr. I run the AquaClear 70 as a refuge for pods and macro algae and have it set on low. You also may want to get 2 powerheads or 1-2 wavemakers. If your going low budget for now 2 powerheads will be fine, point them towards each other or angle them in either corner aimed at the center of the front glass. Stagnate areas of the tank will collect crap and possibly grow nuisance algae.

acabgd
10/30/2014, 05:49 PM
I forgot to mention that we have an RO under the sink already. In in good shape there. Now to find sand and rock...
RO is way better than tap water, but RO/DI is way better than RO.
Check if you can add the DI filter to your existing RO and get a cheap TDS meter (ebay) to check quality of your water. It is extremely important with reef tanks.