PDA

View Full Version : Return pump vs. Powerhead flow

Yellow Eyes
10/30/2014, 10:24 AM
I have been seeing a lot of peoples specs about their tanks and the flow rate of their return pumps on some tanks larger than mine, but with flow rates less than mine (tank specs in sig).

My return pump is an Ehiem compact+, adjustable from 200ish-500ish. I run it open full bore, knowing that I have a checkvalve, and two 90 degree bends so I will not get all 500gph out. I also have 1 wp-10 in the tank.

I recently got a few lps corals (acan, hammer, frogspawn) and I have been struggling to get the flow correct. They are either pushed in one direction, or barely move at all. (compared to seeing other tanks where they waft back and forth).

I have tried all settings on my jebao, as well as different positions of both the pump and return (which has one of those flat nozzles on it).

So my question is, should I invest in a second powerhead to mount opposite, and turn my return pump down? and what would be the drawbacks of turning the return pump down?

Lucky Lefty
10/30/2014, 10:27 AM
Get another powerhead and I wouldn't turn the return pump down.

thegrun
10/30/2014, 10:32 AM
To keep your skimmer and heaters working efficently I would keep at least 100 gph flowing through your sump (assuming this is the 20 gallon tank you are asking about). In the tank for the corals listed you want a total of around 600-800 gph.

Yellow Eyes
10/30/2014, 05:55 PM
Yes, my 20g tank, sorry. And so between my current powerhead and return pump, I have probably closer to 800-1200 gph (I assumed my return is only ~300gph) which should be plenty, so maybe I just need to keep moving the powerhead? I might get a second one just to try it out and see if it helps any.