PDA

View Full Version : Amino Acid or Not to Amino Acid

FirstContact
10/30/2014, 08:10 PM
Anyone like adding amino acids, why, and what brand do you use? Do you just add it to the tank or do you target feed it?

Brightwell Aquatics?
Aquavitro Fuel?
Korallen Zucht?

Stevenliu9
10/30/2014, 08:12 PM
following

FirstContact
10/31/2014, 05:15 PM
No one uses amino acid or has opinions?

Mark426
10/31/2014, 05:23 PM
From what I can decipher reading the 100's of posts on the subject is:

1) For ULNS systems AA's are helpful.
2) For your typical reef, AA's are of little value and can even be detrimental. If used...requires careful use at much less dosage than recommended.

Thats how I read it anyway.

Aquarist007
10/31/2014, 05:24 PM
I use Aquavito Fuel which is really a cheaper priced bottle of Seachems ...same stuff just priced lower for internet sales.
I just follow the directions on the side.
I alternate days with it and Reef Snow.

Eric Boerner
10/31/2014, 05:55 PM
2) For your typical reef, AA's are of little value and can even be detrimental. If used...requires careful use at much less dosage than recommended.

Not entirely true.

Consider amino acids as a food source for the beneficial bacteria that grows on a coral colony:

If you are heavily feeding your reef with coral foods (DIY blender food, chili, snow, etc), you don't necessarily need to add more food by dosing amino acids since they are already getting them from the food source.

If you don't feed coral food, then perhaps you should consider amino acids since they're not getting it from photosynthesis.

Amino acids play a heavy role in both growth and health of the beneficial bacteria that grows on a coral colony. Plus it helps with the coral's immunity system overall.