PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Charlotte

jamiesmithnc
10/31/2014, 06:52 AM
Hi all-

I am new to the forum and the hobby. I had been looking for an activity to share with my teenage daughter, and when we went in to the LFS it clicked. I have wanted a saltwater setup since I was in college (which was quite a while ago), and she really likes her small freshwater setup.

We don't plan to start small, since my wife will only let me buy this once ;). We are looking at a 125-150 gallon aquarium (I can post the "shopping list" if anyone is interested). I like the proportions of those tanks (I think that the LFS had a marineland one on display) more than the 75-90 range.

I have a reasonable spot for it (against a north-facing, load-bearing wall, perpendicular to the joists) but not much room for "extras" in the immediate vicinity. Nor do I have the luxury of basement for use as a fish room. I might be able to find a place in the garage to make RO/DI -> saltwater, but that probably isn't in the cards. I will likely get my water from the LFS.

Is there a place on the forums where people just post pictures and descriptions of their setups (and fish!)? I would like to see sump setup, how much extra space there might be under the stand, etc. One thing my wife won't tolerate is a bunch of stuff all over - it has to be neat. Quiet-ish would be nice, too.

Many Thanks,

-jamie

VegasMike
10/31/2014, 08:14 AM
I am from Charlotte as well, South Park area to be exact.

First, you are thinking right. Bigger is better (up to a point). Look at the DD tanks, which is probably what you are looking at given the sizes you suggested. Look at where you want to put it and go from there. The dd tanks are all 36" front to back and 27" tall, but the 150 is 36" wide, the 200 is 48", the 250 is 60" and the 300 is 72". The 200 is very nice if you have the footprint.

Get the biggest you feel comfortable with. If you can't do the 36" front to back, I would really look at trying to go 6'x24"x27".

I have two identical tanks, each 72"x24"x30" and the area under my stand is more than adequate. You will have plenty of room for a good sized sump and skimmer. One thing that you need to plan for though is top-off. You will evaporate a significant amount of water. Each one of my tanks is completely independent other than the source for the auto top-off.

I use two RO/DI units. One is mounted in a closet inside my house with 1/4" lines running through the closet floor and into the crawlspace. the source/waste line go to the powder room across the hall from the closet and the other line is split to go to each tank. I use the Spectrapure vaccuum/solenoid unit. The feed goes through mechanical float valves as a backup in case the solenoid gets stuck open and the float valves are in the sump.. The second unit I take out whenever I want to do a water change and hook it up to a hose bib.

You need to decide size of the tank first and whether you want to do fish only or reef. That decision will impact how the tank is set up, some equipment choices, what fish you can get, etc. The most important thing you have already done and that is to find this site. Do all of your research here first. Think about what you eventually want to have and try and make decisions that will allow you to make the right purchases once. For example, buy the right skimmer. Once you know the size of the skimmer, the sump can be chosen so that the skimmer will fit. Decide what you want to keep as that will drive lighting choices.

Once you know what you want to do, send me a PM. I have a lot of equipment that I am not using that I will sell you since you are local.

jamiesmithnc
10/31/2014, 09:04 AM
I was actually looking at the regular 125 (or 150), which have two corner-flo holes, and have a 72x18" footprint (22" vs 27" high). Where it is going, I have to go wider than deeper (we have a blind dog).

I am definitely going with a reef tank. I am planning to have an ATO with a top-off that is in a container under the stand. Are you saying that your top-off is directly connected to the waterline (via the RO/DI)?

My system would include an Apex, which would coordinate the ATO.

VegasMike
10/31/2014, 09:16 AM
Yes, my top-off goes directly to the sump from the RO/DI. The RO/DI has a pressure switch that turns the unit off when the solenoid closes, no need for a reservoir under the tank. I hate lugging water and you really do not want to be a slave to your tank.

I had a 150 a few years ago and I would strongly suggest you go 24" deep. The aquascaping on an 18" deep tank is limiting. I also had a 180 at the same time (72"x24"x24") and that was a much better size. Now, that was followed by a 450 before I moved, so, be prepared. The hobby is addicting.

If you want to go with a reef, you will need to decide what type of corals, softies, LPS, SPS or combo. I strongly recommend you start with the easier stuff, but if you think you ever need to try SPS, plan accordingly. That will impact your lighting choice.

jamiesmithnc
10/31/2014, 09:21 AM
I was planning to stick with just the LPS.

Going with the connected top-off would sure save a lot of space under the tank...

Did you just get a regular plumber to hook that all up, or did you do it yourself?

VegasMike
10/31/2014, 10:45 AM
Just did it myself, no problem. Bulk Reef Supply has the RO/DI units and the fittings. I inserted a T in the cold water feed line to the faucet which involved turning off the water and a wrench. The waste line involved a saddle fitting and drilling a very small hole above the U in the drain. Again, I think BRS includes these items in the install kit. It was beyond easy. I think they also include the float valve that you would use at the sump. The key to my setup though is the spectrapure solenoid unit, electronically closes the water flow.

jamiesmithnc
10/31/2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks, I hadn't really thought that was an option. It is definitely on my wishlist...

jamiesmithnc
10/31/2014, 03:21 PM
(wrong window), can't figure out how to delete

formsix
10/31/2014, 05:57 PM
I would suggest thinking a little bit about what you and your daughter want to put in the tank, and then build around those critters. It sounds like you'll be covered for all of the typical things with a tank that's 125g or bigger, but just make sure before you start spending money.

If you do a search for "show me" in the thread titles you should get a lot of different photo threads... and you can add in sump or stand or whatever else to get specific ideas :)