PDA

View Full Version : Energy Bar + Radions

bbecher
10/31/2014, 11:46 AM
Good afternoon!

I had a quick question. I just picked up two new Radion G3 Pro's and an Apex/Energy Bar 8. My Radion G3's work flawlessly when plugged into a normal power strip, but when plugged in to the EB8 they don't seem to work.

One both are plugged in, only one light will work, and only intermittently. About a 30 seconds run time until it will turn off (including no power to the ballast). The other Radion will not run at all. Am I missing something here? Perhaps too many amps? I'm just curious as to why they work flawlessly on a normal power strip and not the EB8.

Thanks for any help!

kurt_n
10/31/2014, 01:20 PM
I'm assuming the outlets in question are set to manual 'ON'?

If these are new EB8s and you haven't wiped out the default programs, and the outlets are set to 'AUTO', you could just be seeing the default programming.

bbecher
10/31/2014, 02:53 PM
I'll have to look into that. I heard a 'click' noise from the apex, and noticed that my Fusion states that it's pulling 0 Amps now. Though I still have the Wireless bridge plugged in and working properly. Maybe it's the profiles cycling that causing the click.

Edit: Just heard the click again and see Amps being drawn once more.

DivingTheWorld
10/31/2014, 03:16 PM
What is the code you are using for the outlets? I was advised to use:

Fallback OFF
Set ON

Then the rest of the programming is done via the virtual outlet(s).

Note: This is for using with WXM. Without WXM, you probably just want to use:

Fallback ON
Set ON

bbecher
10/31/2014, 03:42 PM
What is the code you are using for the outlets? I was advised to use:

Fallback OFF
Set ON

Then the rest of the programming is done via the virtual outlet(s).

Note: This is for using with WXM. Without WXM, you probably just want to use:

Fallback ON
Set ON

As I dive more in to this I think it's entirely operator error. I'm not using the WXM modules, as I already have a Reef Link set up. It looks like nothing is actually wrong as I first suspected. Just trying to get Socket 4 & 8 to essentially be always on. I'll keep poking at it. Thanks for the help so far!

DivingTheWorld
10/31/2014, 04:41 PM
I'd recommend using a non-relay outlet (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7).

The G3 Pro uses approx. 170w.

The relay outlets (4 & 8) are recommended for less than 20w or 300w-800w. Essentially really big or really small. Most people use them for low voltage pumps which are hard to switch on and off (dosing/ato).

The non-relay outlets are recommended for use for 20w-200w so would be perfect for your Radions. Plus, you'll likely just be keeping the outlet always on, so switching is not an issue.

bbecher
10/31/2014, 05:02 PM
Well, I'm back to the standstill. I've got it working on Plugs 3/7 now, but with only one Radion (Plug 3, using Fallback ON Set ON, plug 7's Radion is still a no-go).

I cant imagine its a power issue since they both work when plugged in to a regular power supply.

Edit: To be clear, one Radion is working fine, with a green ballast light when the plug is set to on. The other Radion never receives a green ballast light with its plug set to on. The ballast is confirmed as good as it works (green light) with additional power strips.

DivingTheWorld
10/31/2014, 05:46 PM
Are you sure the EB8 is fully functioning? Did you purchase them new yourself, or from someone who said they were new? Does other hardware work in those outlets (such as a lamp)?

bbecher
10/31/2014, 06:17 PM
I'll test the lamp. The EB8 is new, yes, purchased about a week ago. It just seems like I'm missing something that's not allowing them both to run at the same time.

aleithol
10/31/2014, 07:03 PM
I think there has been great advice here trying to troubleshoot your problem. Since your last post seems to be like you are questioning yourself, let me try to put this into a series of steps that I'd follow if having your situation. I assume you have your EB8 attached to your controller via aquabus, and it's plugged into the wall:

1. Check that your EB8 has a green status light. If not, it may be running in fallback mode and outlets will be on or off based on programming or lack thereof however they default from the factory. If you are not green, post and we'll suggest things to check.

2. Assuming you're OK there, turn each outlet on your EB8 "ON" via the dashboard. That will override any programming you do or don't have on each outlet. Then try the lamp or a simple night light in each outlet. It should come on when plugged in. If not, time to contact Neptune Support.

3. If that works, then switch the outlets to AUTO which will put your programming in control. The simple Fallback ON, Set ON is what I'd also start with for your Radions. You can then test with that same lamp or nightlight and you should have a light on. If so, you're good to try the next test. If not, verify that programming and if it is right, then time to contact support.

4. Now, if you've gotten this far and all is well, you should be able to plug those Radions both into the EB8 and they should work. If they don't, I'd then contact support as perhaps there is some unusual problem with your EB not allowing as much power to be drawn at the same time as it should allow...

FWIW, my 2 Radion Pro G3s work fine in my EB8 at full wattage. Good luck!