PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried to use this :Cermedia's Marine Pure block ?

chercm
10/31/2014, 08:00 PM
anyone tried to use this ?

i am having doubt on whether it will become no3 factory in the sump .

Pseudo69
10/31/2014, 09:49 PM
Pure crap. Don't do it for a reef. I just pulled mine out. Nitrate sink and gave me a headache. I just pulled out half my sps. Not worth it. Works perfectly in my Freshwater planted tank though.

Azedenkae
11/01/2014, 05:42 AM
I never had trouble with it generating nitrate!

I have a huge block in my nano and it works like a charm! Nothing I throw at it (into the tank) gets away, any extra well, anything, gets sucked away!

I work in an aquarium shop, we have this in well, every tank we can shove it into. XD Fresh or saltwater.

greaps
11/01/2014, 06:34 AM
Interested in using it in my next tank too, works like live rock, but easy to clean out, unlike live rock. Seen a lot of positive reviews on it searching forums, most suggest getting the larger block, anything smaller will only process ammonia and nitrite.

firemountain
11/01/2014, 06:52 AM
I would personally not use it as a replacement for live rock, but as a supplement its ok.
Live rock brings in all neat and interesting hitchhikers, some good and some bad, that you won't get with the ceramic block.

I added a small block in my sump and have not seen a nitrate increase. Sofar I would say I am neutral in my opinion, but it's only been in my system for a few months.

Azedenkae
11/01/2014, 07:05 AM
Of course, but just in comparison of biofiltration capacity, Marine Pure wins.

I'm currently doing an experiment where I use no live rock besides what comes with corals, to see what happens. Very curious to see if animals can live in/on it as with live rock.

So yeah, if you want plenty of hitchhikers, then this can't replace it. But if you want this to supplement the live rock, as biofiltration media in the sump or for a minimalist scape, this thing is awesome.

d2mini
11/01/2014, 07:09 AM
I know several people that use them and love them. One uses a couple in a breeding tank of clowns, no live rock. Just the two blocks and a dense cloud of little clown fry. lol

I have one in my sump now (its new) and will probably add another later.

chercm
11/01/2014, 07:42 AM
does it mean by having this i do not need to use bio pellets ? how often i need to clean this to prevent no3 ?

Toby_Kourtney
11/01/2014, 01:23 PM
Brs just did a video review comparing the ceramic block and all the base rock they sell if you wanna check it out.

Azedenkae
11/02/2014, 03:21 AM
does it mean by having this i do not need to use bio pellets ? how often i need to clean this to prevent no3 ?

If you're lucky you get microbes that break down nitrates as well. :)

I don't know much about biopellets so can't say anything though.

acesq
11/02/2014, 03:38 AM
I am using a 4x8x8 block and 4 1x8x8 blocks in my sump. My tank has been running for 11 months and I have never had any measurable nitrates and no algae issues, so I can say that they are not nitrate factories. I have not cleaned them yet, but will rinse them when they get covered in detritus as part of my sump cleaning. They are not a replacement for bio pellets though, which are a solid carbon source. You may not need to dose carbon if you use these blocks, but I can't say that they are the sole or primary reason why I have low nitrates as I also skim heavily, use GAC , employ a refrugium with different algaes and dose vodka.

Tweaked
11/02/2014, 04:19 AM

Bp are a carbon source for no3 and po4 reduction. These blocks are simply surface area for bacteria to grow on/in. I would keep in a higher flow area to reduce the build up of detritus on the blocks.