PDA

View Full Version : additional biological filtration / MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia

Antman
11/03/2014, 10:26 AM
Hello all I was wondering if anyone is using MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia in one of there chambers in a Nano as Extra biological filtration ?
Right now My first chamber is a media basket with Floss/pollyfilter// GFO/Carbon // Purgin
Nothing is in my second chamber I was thinking of MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia to add more biological filtration
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-1-1-2-spheres-1.html

anythoughts ?
Thanks

ReefWreak
11/04/2014, 09:44 AM
Depends on your tank. If it's fish-only, then it's fine, if your tank is a reef, I would say no.

"High usable surface area for beneficial bacteria growth"
"Designed specifically to target ammonia and nitrite removal and minimizes nitrates"

They'll be great if you have an ammonia or nitrite problem, but those get converted into nitrate, so that factor combined with that they'll eventually accumulate detritus which breaks down into more ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, you'll have a huge concentration of nitrate over time.

These are excellent sites for aerobic bacteria (ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate) but they have too much surface area for anaerobic bacteria (nitrate --> nitrogen gas).

Antman
11/04/2014, 10:50 AM
My tank is a 24 G Reef I have a bunch of Tonga branch do not much pours for the bacteria to live IN the rock
That is why I thought this product may be good for my tank I planned to put it in a media bag in the second chamber after mechanical filtration so detritus would not build up and In a media bag I can take the whole bag out and rinse it out in water I take out of tank from water change so I do not disturbed the bacteria
Tank now is
Ammonia 0.01
Nitrite 0.005
Phosphate 0.23
Nitrate 4.3

ReefWreak
11/04/2014, 11:00 AM
Despite not seeing the pores in the rock, I assure you your rock is plenty porous, and the bacteria is thriving in the rock. Bacteria are very small, and we cannot see most of the pores accessible to them. They also will find microscopic fissures and pores that lead into the anaerobic centers of the rocks and will do their anaerobic dance there.

You certainly can do what you want, but for what you just posted, my recommendation would be to NOT add the biomedia, but I think you would get a big positive impact by adding some GFO to your chamber instead (Phosban, ROWAPhos, PhosLock, etc) to reduce those phosphate levels, which are quite high. You might even want to hang a phosban reactor over the side of the tank for a few weeks/months to get that phosphate level down.

Those phosphates will drive a lot of algae growth, especially if algae has a new nitrate source from those biomedia balls.

Antman
11/04/2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks In the first chamber I have a Media Basket with Filter Floss/PollyFilter// GFO and carbon // and than a bag of purigen

codyreed29
11/04/2014, 11:26 AM
You are actually right there is a video by BRS. They show porousity surface area and one other thing and tonga branch was the worst of all types. So yes this is a good idea. The block or balls would be benifical.
I plan to use rubble rock bioballs and ceramic biomedia I think this will have its benefits as long as you can remove the media for cleaning probably once a month at first to see how much detritus gets stuck.
Also you will need to run some sort of prefilter which will catch most waste and debris that tend to cl9g the media. I am also going to use a skimmer and mud sandbed with macroalgeas.

Antman
11/04/2014, 11:32 AM
You are actually right there is a video by BRS. They show porousity surface area and one other thing and tonga branch was the worst of all types. So yes this is a good idea. The block or balls would be benifical.
I plan to use rubble rock bioballs and ceramic biomedia I think this will have its benefits as long as you can remove the media for cleaning probably once a month at first to see how much detritus gets stuck.
Also you will need to run some sort of prefilter which will catch most waste and debris that tend to cl9g the media. I am also going to use a skimmer and mud sandbed with macroalgeas.

Yes that is why I planed a media bag and rinse off when I do water changes