PDA

View Full Version : New Reefscape

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 02:55 PM
Hey fellow reefers,

A few months ago I posted this pic as my reefscape.

After tearing down and starting over here is my new reefscape and I would like to see what you guys think.

Thanks for looking.

slief
11/04/2014, 03:29 PM
Personally, I think the original scape (first picture) looks more natural..

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 04:46 PM
The only think with the original scape was that I hardly had space for coral on the peaks. So I figured with the shelves I would have more space. I was thinking of putting sps on the shelves and lps on the sand. Thanks for the feed back.

Frank

slief
11/04/2014, 05:39 PM
The only think with the original scape was that I hardly had space for coral on the peaks. So I figured with the shelves I would have more space. I was thinking of putting sps on the shelves and lps on the sand. Thanks for the feed back.

Frank

No problem... The first thing I thought of was a bunch of different sized dishes stacked on top of each other. In hind site and after looking at again, it's really not bad.. I probably would have added more rock to the original theme but once you get some coraline and corals on it, I think it'll start looking more natural. :beer:

r1racer
11/04/2014, 07:03 PM
I like both. The only thing I would change on the first pic is the left side. The top of the cave looks a bit funny/unnatural.

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Plz keep them coming. The other thing I like about the new scape is that it seems to have more hiding places for the fishies.

ajcanale
11/04/2014, 08:13 PM
While I like the first one, the second one would be amazing for growing out acro's, very similar to what I have in mine.... not a fan of the magnet rocks placed in a line though, looks awkward.

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 08:58 PM
What do u suggest. I was kinda thinking that I would make it look like the edge of a reef, but definitely open to suggestions. I was thinking of putting some on the overflow, but wasn't sure if it would be safe for the magnet to be exposed to water.

rovster
11/04/2014, 09:37 PM
Depends on what kind of corals you plan on. For SPS dominant, the first one has more potential in my opinion as it stands. The second one although more visually appealing as is, once it has grown out colonies, it will lose that look. Such a large flat piece looks great, but with a bunch of corals on it will look like nothing more than a cluttered shelf. I think it needs more variation and potential to mount corals in different vertical levels.

Think about how the corals you like will grow, and take that into account when designing the scape. Know where you want those plates, tables, stags, bushies, etc and leave room for them to fill out and further define the scape.

In my tank, which is still new and only frags, I kept my stags and vertical growers at the apex of the formations and towards the back. My bushies are mid level and along the bottom. My tables like milles are towards the front with room for them to table outward without shading or bumping into anything. My deep waters add color along the bottom. Whether or not it plays out like I imagine, time will tell.

I really do like the the second scape. The left side looks great but it's a bit tall. If you were to keep the right shelf, I'd make it half as tall. Hope this helps.....

wetWolger
11/04/2014, 09:49 PM
I like the new one much better. I love shelves like that, and I think the asymmetry looks really good.

If I were to change anything, it would maybe be to sacrifice _some_ (but not much) of the overhangs in an effort to try to create a bit of a cave.

Only thing I am not so sure on is the fake rock on the back glass, just looks weird to me.

tilo
11/04/2014, 10:22 PM
I like the second one. The left side is perfect, as for the right im not a fan of the giant flat piece on top.

Not a fan of the magnet rocks in line on back wall either. Idk what to suggest for that.

As for the flat rock maybe try putting that piece in the middle of the rock that are underneath it and the very base rock...?

Depends on what the tank is going to house coral wise. For sps im not feeling the flat piece.

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info. And suggestions. I was actually thinking of adding some tonga rock to break it up a bit. The other idea I was having is getting another shelf like the one on the right and stacking it on top of the one on the right and face a different direction to give it a different look. I know the mag rocks look weird, but I was hoping that once I add some sps to them they will look better. If u guys have any suggestion or ideas on how to make the mag rocks look better plz lmk. Sometimes a different prospective is needed. Thanks everyone for taking the time and giving me there feedback.

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 10:32 PM
Im trying to do a mixed reef. Sps on the top and lps garden on the sand bed.

tilo
11/04/2014, 10:37 PM
Yeah your idea sounds great about trying to have another direction on top, maybe try to cut it down a little shorter though.

If not I also feel as though your sps would look cluttered on the shelf

frnkynlop
11/04/2014, 10:44 PM
Great I think I will be going that direction.