PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

gilly1969
11/05/2014, 06:27 AM
I asked this in the soft coral forum with no response so I'm trying here. I would like to start adding some soft corals into my tank. I've had several fish in there for about a month now water conditions are where they should be for them. But I'm wondering do I need to add anything to the water to start the corals?

SpyderVenom000
11/05/2014, 07:24 AM
Assuming its just the usual mushrooms, zoas, etc... you should be fine with soft corals. you don't have to add anything to the water, just normal water changes should suffice.

3dees
11/05/2014, 08:27 AM
I have been running a softie/lps tank for almost a year. I don't dose anything and so far all is well, but I do test. I switch from IO to Reef Crystals for more calcium.

MondoBongo
11/05/2014, 08:28 AM
soft corals generally aren't too picky. as long as your water is clean, and most readings are vaguely within the suggested range they should be just fine.

good lights too. now when i say good, i don't necessarily mean a $4.2 million dollar LED system developed by NASA, just a decent setup that can provide adequate light. some softies can be grown in relatively low light, but most of them appreciate moderate light, like a small T5 fixture. nothing crazy.

certain softies like toadstools may practice allelopathy, so running carbon when keeping certain species can be beneficial.

last consideration is growth. once established and happy, most softies can quickly start taking over every available piece of real estate. so plopping that kenya tree you like on the biggest, heaviest, base rock in your pile may not be the best idea. you can always remove things later with razor blades and kalk paste, but a little forward planning can go a long way.

SFish
11/05/2014, 09:53 AM
soft corals generally aren't too picky. as long as your water is clean, and most readings are vaguely within the suggested range they should be just fine.

good lights too. now when i say good, i don't necessarily mean a $4.2 million dollar LED system developed by NASA, just a decent setup that can provide adequate light. some softies can be grown in relatively low light, but most of them appreciate moderate light, like a small T5 fixture. nothing crazy.

certain softies like toadstools may practice allelopathy, so running carbon when keeping certain species can be beneficial.

last consideration is growth. once established and happy, most softies can quickly start taking over every available piece of real estate. so plopping that kenya tree you like on the biggest, heaviest, base rock in your pile may not be the best idea. you can always remove things later with razor blades and kalk paste, but a little forward planning can go a long way.

This is good to know. Anything you recommend to start with that's easy?

kevin21
11/05/2014, 10:02 AM
Zoa's, Most mushroom corals, green star polyps, xenia, and kenya tree are all good starter corals. Beware of xenia, kenya tree, and green star polyps. If in good conditions, could grow exceedingly fast and will need to be trimmed down. Dont want anything taking over your tank! Good luck

gilly1969
11/05/2014, 10:51 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/05/cf3475cc631f24486546adc027f83d47.jpgthis is the nem I have now he has been in there about a week and I thought was doing pretty good. Yesterday he moved up to this rock now today he is looking like this. My clowns won't go around him. Is there something wrong with him? And should I try to move him?

GilliganReef
11/05/2014, 01:01 PM
How old is your tank? Cause your tank might be too young to house a anemone.

gilly1969
11/05/2014, 02:03 PM
It's been up and running for over a month now.

coralsnaked
11/05/2014, 03:27 PM
normal params a little heavy on po4 and NO3 is acceptable for soft coral IE PO4 ~0.1 max and NO3 ~ 10.0 max Calcium, alk and Mg OK without dosing if you change 5% water per week with reef salt.

uncleL
11/06/2014, 08:24 AM
I would take it SLOW.........I would not add any corals or anemones to the tank until you have your tank up and running for at least six months.