PDA

View Full Version : Why did Coral beauty die?

tassod
11/05/2014, 12:34 PM
Not sure what happened but came home yesterday to my CB dead in my QT tank. It was fine up until a day or so ago when i noticed it didnt want to eat anymore and fins look roughed up. I also noticed my small picasso clown fish kind of always sticking next to it like he was bothering her or something. Here is a pic of coral beauty:

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y420/tassod/a281e318-9bb5-4b63-88cf-dfc64ae464f4_zps9c9e9478.jpg (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/tassod/media/a281e318-9bb5-4b63-88cf-dfc64ae464f4_zps9c9e9478.jpg.html)

Now these fish have gone through CP treatment which ended 4-6 weeks ago and now just waiting for fallow period to end. Is this the work of some parasite or did the fish get killed by someone else in the tank? The picasso clown up until yesterday was not eating for about 10 days or so now but started to eat yesterday after the CB died...interesting.

tassod
11/05/2014, 10:28 PM
Anyone?

snorvich
11/06/2014, 09:36 AM
Too many variables such as where did you acquire your CP. We would be guessing. A small clownfish of that species is probably not the culprit however.

Ragged, torn, or missing fins
Research:
a) Fin Rot and Tail Rot (bacterial)
b) Marine Ich (parasite)
c) Ammonia Poisoning in marine fish
d) Uronema (parasite)
e) Brooklynella (parasite)
f) Marine Flukes (parasite)

tassod
11/06/2014, 10:03 AM
I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do anymore. I've got 6 fish left in that QT where the coral beauty died. I also have a new tang currently going through TTM and is about to enter this QT tank but now i am worried bringing him in there will give him something that I currently don't know what it is. I'm going to try and summarize events here to see what the best course of action is to do next.

1. DT hit with ich/velvet or something else and wiped out more than 50% of fish in about 2 weeks time
2. Got all remenaing fish out of DT and into QT and started CP which was acquired from ebay. Also used some that I acquired from pharmacy. This was on 9/5/14
3. Lost 3 fish during CP treatment which ended on 10/2/14.
4. On 10/9 acquired an carpet anemone which went in DT (fallow period reset) and a small oscellaris clown which went in my QT. One week later, noticed white stringy poop from this clown and it stopped eating. Transfered clown into another temp QT to treat with API general cure and next day clown was dead.
5. Existing picasso clown few days after other clown died stopped eating..this went on for almost 2 weeks. No other symptoms from clown, just would not eat.
6. Coral beauty dies 2 days ago and coincidently now, picasso clown is eating again and looks fine.
7. All other fish are fine and eating great which include:
a) Purple tang
b) Naso Tang
c) Sailfin Desjardini Tang (he is pale though and looks like he has HLLE but he had that in DT before all this)
d) FoxFace
e) Chromis

I have a small whitetail bristletooth tang in TTM righ now and dont know if i should bring him over now or not. Don't know what to do. Should i start treating QT with Copper?

snorvich
11/06/2014, 01:09 PM
I'm really at a loss here and don't know what to do anymore. I've got 6 fish left in that QT where the coral beauty died. I also have a new tang currently going through TTM and is about to enter this QT tank but now i am worried bringing him in there will give him something that I currently don't know what it is. I'm going to try and summarize events here to see what the best course of action is to do next.

1. DT hit with ich/velvet or something else and wiped out more than 50% of fish in about 2 weeks time the mortality time line is consistent with velvet and not consistent with ich
2. Got all remenaing fish out of DT and into QT and started CP which was acquired from ebay. Also used some that I acquired from pharmacy. This was on 9/5/14 I would trust the pharmacy CP over the ebay CP which I think was acquired and then split into small saleable packets
3. Lost 3 fish during CP treatment which ended on 10/2/14.
4. On 10/9 acquired an carpet anemone which went in DT (fallow period reset) and a small oscellaris clown which went in my QT. One week later, noticed white stringy poop from this clown and it stopped eating. Transfered clown into another temp QT to treat with API general cure and next day clown was dead. Contents of API general cure?
5. Existing picasso clown few days after other clown died stopped eating..this went on for almost 2 weeks. No other symptoms from clown, just would not eat.
6. Coral beauty dies 2 days ago and coincidently now, picasso clown is eating again and looks fine. those are unrelated events
7. All other fish are fine and eating great which include:
a) Purple tang
b) Naso Tang
c) Sailfin Desjardini Tang (he is pale though and looks like he has HLLE but he had that in DT before all this)
d) FoxFace
e) Chromis

I have a small whitetail bristletooth tang in TTM righ now and dont know if i should bring him over now or not. Don't know what to do. Should i start treating QT with Copper?

When there are so many variables involved, it is difficult to advise. I strongly suggest that you establish a quarantine protocol and stick with it. My blog has the one I use which is TT followed by Prazipro and at least 4 weeks acclimation and observation. I never do more than one fish at a time. Keep it simple.

tassod
11/06/2014, 02:47 PM
When there are so many variables involved, it is difficult to advise. I strongly suggest that you establish a quarantine protocol and stick with it. My blog has the one I use which is TT followed by Prazipro and at least 4 weeks acclimation and observation. I never do more than one fish at a time. Keep it simple.

I'm definitely going to be sticking to the same protocol as you use with TTM going forward and I'm using it now on this new fish that is in the last stages of final transfer but I am still in the dark as to what to do with the current fish in the QT tank and if I should risk adding the new tang to the QT with the other fish. If I dont take into consideration a couple of coral additions that I have made to the DT, the DT has been fallow now for 62 days and I would have 10 days to go. Should i just put the new tang in the DT? I understand it is difficult to advise and this is a very sticky situation.

snorvich
11/06/2014, 03:10 PM
I'm definitely going to be sticking to the same protocol as you use with TTM going forward and I'm using it now on this new fish that is in the last stages of final transfer but I am still in the dark as to what to do with the current fish in the QT tank and if I should risk adding the new tang to the QT with the other fish. If I dont take into consideration a couple of coral additions that I have made to the DT, the DT has been fallow now for 62 days and I would have 10 days to go. Should i just put the new tang in the DT? I understand it is difficult to advise and this is a very sticky situation.

If you are doing TT on this fish, that means 12 days and will remove ich from the equation. If you add another 18 days of observation after TT, that would be the minimum amount of quarantine I would suggest before putting it in your currently fallow display tank.

tassod
11/06/2014, 03:50 PM
If you are doing TT on this fish, that means 12 days and will remove ich from the equation. If you add another 18 days of observation after TT, that would be the minimum amount of quarantine I would suggest before putting it in your currently fallow display tank.

Yes - but where do I carry out these remaining 18 days of QT? The only cycled QT I have going is the one with the remaining fish that I have where the coral beauty was found dead which now poses risk of what is really going on in there.

DDon
11/06/2014, 05:07 PM
How is the water quality in the QT. Assuming it is the QT in your signature line, you have quite a few potentially large (I don't know actual size) fish for a relatively small tank. With large bioload which is changing due to adding fish, are you able to maintain maintain water quality, specifically zero ammonia? What about aggression, I know my desjardini is a brute.

I went through similar earlier this year, running fallow on a 240 and QTing in 72 after tank transfer. I ended having to split fish into multiple tanks for the fallow period.

Just throwing it out as something to consider.