PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remotely close to me?

banjowalker
11/05/2014, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I was wondering is there anyone remotely close to the Morganton, NC area? I need some contacts around me as I know absolutely no one else near me thay keeps a reef tank. Or if anyone can point me in the right direction of how to find out locations of reefers it would be appreciated!

MinnFish
11/05/2014, 07:36 PM
Look under reef club at bottom on forum page. There are a few in NC. How far is Charlotte from you. http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=706 click this link. Happy reefing.

Jritter02
11/06/2014, 01:13 AM
I'm in Chesapeake va. Not sure how close that is to you though. I'm only a few months in to the hobby myself.

banjowalker
11/06/2014, 02:11 AM
I'm in Chesapeake va. Not sure how close that is to you though. I'm only a few months in to the hobby myself.
If I'm ever out that way I will let you know. It's a pretty good drive to VA from here

Jritter02
11/06/2014, 03:14 AM
You're kinda close to ashville. Prolly 6 hours from me

Breadman03
11/06/2014, 06:21 AM

I spent about 2 months there. It's a pretty place, IIRC.

Megaloptera
11/06/2014, 07:38 AM
We moved from Morganton a year and a half ago. Try (Google) the Charlotte Area Aquarist Society for help. They have a great supportive group of people (mostly freshwater) but a few keep reef tanks. Also they could connect you with, i think its called, the West North Carolina Aquarist Society, they meet for meetings once a month on a Thursday at the Catawba Science Center in Hickory. They are again mostly freshwater but I'm sure you could make a connection there.

Megaloptera
11/06/2014, 07:44 AM
Also the local fish store in Boone is small but good for Reef live stock - Reef Magic. In Charlotte Fintastic would have the largest selection and well worth a visit.

banjowalker
11/06/2014, 05:48 PM
We moved from Morganton a year and a half ago. Try (Google) the Charlotte Area Aquarist Society for help. They have a great supportive group of people (mostly freshwater) but a few keep reef tanks. Also they could connect you with, i think its called, the West North Carolina Aquarist Society, they meet for meetings once a month on a Thursday at the Catawba Science Center in Hickory. They are again mostly freshwater but I'm sure you could make a connection there.
Awesome thanks! do you know anyone else that was from around here?

banjowalker
11/06/2014, 05:48 PM
Also the local fish store in Boone is small but good for Reef live stock - Reef Magic. In Charlotte Fintastic would have the largest selection and well worth a visit.
Well honestly I could get to either of those within an hour and would make a fun day trip. I will look those up when I am stocking

Megaloptera
11/06/2014, 06:36 PM
Before I moved, I sold my corals and anemone to the guy who runs Heavy Metal Tattoo parlor just south of town. I've stopped by the local fish store in Morganton but never thought that much of their prices, staff, or quality of livestock.

I only had my set up for less than a year before we moved out of state so I was new to the hobby too. I kept freshwater for years before that.

Fintastic is well worth the trip its a huge store with just about anything you could dream of. Reef Magic is much smaller but they were closer for me than Charlotte, plus we would spend the day in the mountains more than the city.

banjowalker
11/06/2014, 06:45 PM
Before I moved, I sold my corals and anemone to the guy who runs Heavy Metal Tattoo parlor just south of town. I've stopped by the local fish store in Morganton but never thought that much of their prices, staff, or quality of livestock.

I only had my set up for less than a year before we moved out of state so I was new to the hobby too. I kept freshwater for years before that.

Fintastic is well worth the trip its a huge store with just about anything you could dream of. Reef Magic is much smaller but they were closer for me than Charlotte, plus we would spend the day in the mountains more than the city.
Yeah that's very true. The one in town is a disgrace. The owner is not friendly at all and she usually has all of 3 saltwater fish at one time. I'll check out the guy who runs the tattoo shop. And I'm gonna have to visit both of the others too. Wish you still lived at round here!