PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO - Help with Naso tang

brett559
11/05/2014, 08:46 PM
Here's a video of my Naso tang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnWcJvSHQiQ&feature=youtu.be&safe=active

Here's been in my tank for about 2 weeks now. I saw him eat brine shrimp at the LFS. But he has not eaten anything but nori since I put him in. I put in nori twice a day and he will eat it - not voraciously, but he will pick at it.

He's gotten skinnier and I'm a little worried about him. In doing some online research, it looks like they can take a while to get used to a new tank. Everyone else eats the pellets and shrimp (mysis and/or brine) just fine. I put in a small blue tang at the same time as the naso, and the blue tang eats like a champ.

After seeing the video, what do you think? Should he eventually learn to eat prepared foods? I will continue to feed him nori every day. He swims around fine and gets along with everyone (my yellow tang really went after him the first day, but they are fine now.)

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

BowedFloor
11/05/2014, 09:57 PM
Have you tried any food additives? Like garlic or anything? Also are you using the same brine shrimp the store feeds?

lllesley
11/06/2014, 04:09 AM
My tang loves blood worm. I know it's not great for tangs. But to just start him eating isn't a bad idea. His other favourite treat is the chateau I have in my sump. You could rubber band nori to a rock. Submerge the rock to sand bed and he will prob start picking at it ? Hope this helps. ! His swimming in the video suggests stress if some kind. May I ask what size tank he is in please ?

Sapelo
11/06/2014, 04:24 AM
Of course you'll want to check your tank parameters too, just make sure there's nothing glaringly wrong.
And I agree with the notion of rubber banding nori to a rock or piece of pvc, it's a sure fire way to get my tangs picking and nibbling. You might also try different types of nori. Mine love Two Little Fishes Red Veggie but wont touch the purple.
Good luck!

uncleL
11/06/2014, 07:48 AM
I would try Sushi dried seaweed..... My Tangs love the stuff!

Zer0.
11/06/2014, 07:54 AM
My tang loves blood worm. I know it's not great for tangs. But to just start him eating isn't a bad idea. His other favourite treat is the chateau I have in my sump. You could rubber band nori to a rock. Submerge the rock to sand bed and he will prob start picking at it ? Hope this helps. ! His swimming in the video suggests stress if some kind. May I ask what size tank he is in please ?

90 gallon 3 footer

brett559
11/06/2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the input. He is definitely picking at the nori every time I put it in. I use the veggie clip. I will call my LFS and see what kind of shrimp he was eating before I brought him home.

reeferstace
11/06/2014, 09:42 AM
You have no QT procedure for your fish. You continue to stuff multiple tangs into a 3 foot tank. You dismiss aggression issues. You dismiss others when they tell you that you stocking plan is not even close to being appropriate for the tank you have.

MMacro
11/06/2014, 10:02 AM
You have no QT procedure for your fish. You continue to stuff multiple tangs into a 3 foot tank. You dismiss aggression issues. You dismiss others when they tell you that you stocking plan is not even close to being appropriate for the tank you have.

+1 You have multiple tangs in a 3 foot tank and you are wondering why you are having issues? Don't listen to your lfs as they will most likely lie. Check in on the forum before you purchase fish.

Toddrtrex
11/06/2014, 10:08 AM
90 gallon 3 footer

Thanks for the input. He is definitely picking at the nori every time I put it in. I use the veggie clip. I will call my LFS and see what kind of shrimp he was eating before I brought him home.

So are you "Zer0" or "brett559" ? Makes it hard to follow.

mcozad829
11/06/2014, 10:28 AM
So are you "Zer0" or "brett559" ? Makes it hard to follow.

The OP is brett559, Zer0 probably just saw the tank size in some of brett559's other posts. He was told of course about the issues of overcrowding an undersized tank and then added *suprise* more tangs. I would imagine at this point brett559 is pretty stuck in his ways and doesn't want anyone lecturing him so he is probably reluctant to state tank size. At least that's how i followed the thread.

To brett559,
the issues you are having in your tank stem from stress of overcrowding. Do what you want with that information but pretty much everyone is gonna tell you the same thing (unless that person is selling you a fish). I know in one of your previous posts you made the statement that any size glass box compared to the ocean is selfish, and while you are correct recommended tank sizes have come from experience and success. It is not as simple as "is my fish happy". People that have been in this hobby for decades have realized what sizes work for what species to keep them from having problems in the long run. If the majority of people could keep a blue tang healthy in a 40gallon for its entire life that would be the recommended size, however that is not the case. If you go against the recommendations the odds are most of your fish will succumb to disease and your tank will crash. I am not intending to lecture or be the "tang police" I am just hoping to show you that recommended tank sizes are not based on how the animal "feels" its based on whether there has been success in the past or not.

reefwiser
11/06/2014, 10:34 AM
Naso's need big long tanks

Toddrtrex
11/06/2014, 10:35 AM
The OP is brett559, Zer0 probably just saw the tank size in some of brett559's other posts. He was told of course about the issues of overcrowding an undersized tank and then added *suprise* more tangs. I would imagine at this point brett559 is pretty stuck in his ways and doesn't want anyone lecturing him so he is probably reluctant to state tank size. At least that's how i followed the thread.

Saw this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2449639) from "them" and it started my confusion -- the first 3 posts.

killinit123
11/06/2014, 10:36 AM
^^^^ +1 to this post couldnt have said it any better myself ^^^

lllesley
11/06/2014, 12:48 PM
90 gallon 3 footer

I personally think your tang is very stressed. He is not swimming normally, he is agitated & extremely thin (as you already know)

I have a naso tang & like others have suggested they are extremely active fish that need tons of room. My naso is continually surfing the power heads and swimming around the tank.I have a 240g. One of the most active & peaceful tangs you can buy. In fact they get stressed by a wet hanky, that's why you've heard rumors that they are hard to get eating, they stress so very easily and yours is stressed.
Unless his stress levels change he probably wont start eating and he will die.

You may also find that because the yellow tang beat him up when first put in the tank, he is not confident in feeding, in case yellow gets territorial again,The yellow will leave him alone if he sees no threat to his food.

I am sorry to say but I really think you need to find a new home for this Naso, he is fairly big already and honestly probably needs a bigger better home. So please give this guy a chance and re-home him.

brett559
11/06/2014, 04:16 PM
I was able to easily remove the Naso and will find him a new home.

Everyone (excepting reeferstace - I found your comments condescending, insulting and rude...to a person who is just starting the hobby, no less!) thank you for your comments. I appreciate the proposed solutions and not ridicule for perceived mistakes.

reeferstace
11/06/2014, 04:51 PM

Everyone (excepting reeferstace - I found your comments condescending, insulting and rude...to a person who is just starting the hobby, no less!) thank you for your comments. I appreciate the proposed solutions and not ridicule for perceived mistakes.

You have been advised on every fish thread that you have started here on RC that your tank is not sufficiently large enough for the fish you have. You are on the second Naso tang in the past month (after the first got killed by another grazer).

Please do your fish a favor and research their feeding requirements and tank size recommendations before you obtain them. Here's an excellent place to start...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157901

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1593159

maddmaxx
11/06/2014, 05:04 PM
Saw this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2449639) from "them" and it started my confusion -- the first 3 posts.

they def have 2 accounts....

MMacro
11/06/2014, 05:21 PM
You have been advised on every fish thread that you have started here on RC that your tank is not sufficiently large enough for the fish you have. You are on the second Naso tang in the past month (after the first got killed by another grazer).

Please do your fish a favor and research their feeding requirements and tank size recommendations before you obtain them. Here's an excellent place to start...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157901

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1593159

This.
It had to come to this to make you find a better home for the fish.

ReeFreak1
11/06/2014, 05:24 PM
Not to bust everyone's bubble, but I think there is another issue here. This fish is gasping for air. Of course that could be caused from stress as everyone agreed, but could also be some sort of a disease or parasite? Do you have a QT? If so, I would put it in there and start Hypo-salinity. This reduces stress almost immediately and provides more oxygen to the already weekend fish, which will enhance appetite. Of course this procedure will remove most parasites although not very effective on flukes. Sorry but it is just my opinion that I think the fish is sick.

MMacro
11/06/2014, 06:33 PM
Not to bust everyone's bubble, but I think there is another issue here. This fish is gasping for air. Of course that could be caused from stress as everyone agreed, but could also be some sort of a disease or parasite? Do you have a QT? If so, I would put it in there and start Hypo-salinity. This reduces stress almost immediately and provides more oxygen to the already weekend fish, which will enhance appetite. Of course this procedure will remove most parasites although not very effective on flukes. Sorry but it is just my opinion that I think the fish is sick.

He has supposedly sold the fish.

killinit123
11/07/2014, 10:40 AM
He has supposedly sold the fish.

either that or has "successfully removed" a dead naso tang from his tank

Zer0.
11/07/2014, 01:16 PM
they def have 2 accounts....

Or def not, just know tank size from seeing so many fish problem threads lately.

maddmaxx
11/07/2014, 02:08 PM
Or def not, just know tank size from seeing so many fish problem threads lately.

i still think its the same person...

MMacro
11/07/2014, 02:51 PM
either that or has "successfully removed" a dead naso tang from his tank

Exactly.

Dino
11/07/2014, 02:53 PM
i still think its the same person...

Not to side track this thread but it was reported and I feel pretty safe saying they're not the same person :). If somebody has good evidence to the contrary I'd welcome a PM, but I have good reason to not think so at this point in time.

As for you Brett - my advise to you right now after reading pretty much every post you've made on here is for you to slow way down, do a whole lot of reading, and start listening to some of the advice you've been given. One of the sayings I've always liked is "the only thing that happens fast in reefkeeping is disaster" and its truth. You may not like hearing it but based on other posts you've made on here you should not be adding any more fish to this tank and in fact should be considering removing a couple. A tank of the size you say you have should not have multiple tangs, in fact a single tang is pushing it.

Unfortunately I fear this all may be falling on deaf ears considering your opinions you've posted on here previously :(.
Thanks for the input.

I am somewhat amazed by some of these posts. Like I am a monster because I have a certain fish in my tank. Someone said that it doesn't matter what fish I want, I should think of the fish first and foremost. This whole hobby is inherently selfish. I have a Naso tang in my 90 gallon because I want a Naso tang, and a 90 gallon system fell into my lap. When my Naso tang gets too big, I will post a link on my local reef club and within 20 minutes 15 people will be clamoring for a free, healthy Naso tang.

If any of you cared about the fish, you'd leave them in the ocean. The hobby requires us to take fish, who have evolved and are meant to swim in millions of gallons of water, and put them in a box. My box is 90 gallons, yours is 150. At the end of the day, your blue tang is in a cage. I mean, it is what it is. That's the whole point. We remove these ocean creatures and put them in our living room. And I love it - my children love it. It's super fun. If you agree to take a fish into your tank, you of course need to take care of it. But we are not doing these fish any favors. We do this because WE want a fish tank in our house. Period.

I didn't ask for advice on my Naso tang. I asked whether Flame Angels are reef safe. This is supposed to be a place where people can ask for advice. That's what I'm trying to do. Thank you for those who replied.

BrianD
11/07/2014, 03:07 PM
Cody, every once in awhile someone "gets its". We can only hope this will be one of those cases (before many more fish are lost).

brett559
11/07/2014, 04:06 PM
I simply don't get where this is all coming from. I had a tang get spiked in a freak accident by a foxface and it died. My yellow tang picked on a second naso tang, so I removed him from the tank and am simply waiting to deliver it to a member of my local reef club.

All this talk of disaster and not getting it - I just don't understand. I'm sure I'm not the first person who has had an aggressive yellow tang. And I took care of the problem!

Why would I remove fish? I have 6 fish in a 90 gallon tank - two happy clowns, a yellow tang (over 2 years old), a tiny healthy blue tang, a coral beauty (also over 2 years old), and a royal gramma.

My intent is not to immediately go out and buy all these fish I am asking about. I am trying to do like you suggest - trying to learn what works. I've always wanted a Naso tang, and in hindsight it didn't work out. But to question everything I've done and every decision I've made, I just don't think that's justified. I really am trying my best.

I have no doubt you all know more than me - you are all better at this than me, I'm sure. I really felt terrible when I lost my Naso tang. And I am trying to "get it". But some of these replies, it almost seems like you are enjoying the "I told you so" opportunity. "Before many more fish are lost" - how am I supposed to take that?

Lesson learned. I will not add any more tangs to my current setup. I have wanted to start this hobby for years. I came to what I consider the best source for help and advice (and yes, that has included problems with one fish).

If you look again at the fish I have, every fish is listed as "easy" according to Live Aquaria. I'm not trying to bite off more than I can chew - I am trying to make decisions that will result in healthy, happy fish.

So yes, putting a third tang in my tank didn't work out. Some on this forum said it could be done, numerous members of my local reef club shared positive experiences. I didn't show up at the LFS, say "Wow! That one's pretty" and then take it home.

Anyway, that's more than you probably want to hear. And yes, I only have one account. Not sure what that discussion is about. I'm not trying to hide anything - again, my thought was that posting in the "newbie" section would result in less harsh replies.

And my "rant" about the selfishness of the hobby - that is something I struggle with. I've always loved marine creatures, but there is a definite trade-off to taking part in this hobby:
http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/aquarium-fish-death.html#cr (about 80% of all marine fish die even before they are sold).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfZNnFXX3Kk

I have decided to take part in a hobby where millions of fish die, who would not otherwise - and so have you. Think about that before you cast stones at me. I avoid Petco and other stores that don't follow good business practices. I support a local store where the owner is a former marine biologist who tries to get captive-bred fish whenever he can, and stocks healthy fish. So BrianD, your comment is not well taken. Things happen in this hobby; I'm sure you've all lost dozens of fish. I have lost one.

My plan going forward is to add a wrasse or two, maybe some chromis or an anthias.

Had I known that beautiful naso tang would have died, I would never have gotten it. It really did break my heart (and my young son's - he cried. We buried it in the front yard).

So I have learned my lesson. I hope to continue to seek advice in this forum.

ReeFreak1
11/07/2014, 05:57 PM
I simply don't get where this is all coming from. I had a tang get spiked in a freak accident by a foxface and it died. My yellow tang picked on a second naso tang, so I removed him from the tank and am simply waiting to deliver it to a member of my local reef club.

All this talk of disaster and not getting it - I just don't understand. I'm sure I'm not the first person who has had an aggressive yellow tang. And I took care of the problem!

Why would I remove fish? I have 6 fish in a 90 gallon tank - two happy clowns, a yellow tang (over 2 years old), a tiny healthy blue tang, a coral beauty (also over 2 years old), and a royal gramma.

My intent is not to immediately go out and buy all these fish I am asking about. I am trying to do like you suggest - trying to learn what works. I've always wanted a Naso tang, and in hindsight it didn't work out. But to question everything I've done and every decision I've made, I just don't think that's justified. I really am trying my best.

I have no doubt you all know more than me - you are all better at this than me, I'm sure. I really felt terrible when I lost my Naso tang. And I am trying to "get it". But some of these replies, it almost seems like you are enjoying the "I told you so" opportunity. "Before many more fish are lost" - how am I supposed to take that?

Lesson learned. I will not add any more tangs to my current setup. I have wanted to start this hobby for years. I came to what I consider the best source for help and advice (and yes, that has included problems with one fish).

If you look again at the fish I have, every fish is listed as "easy" according to Live Aquaria. I'm not trying to bite off more than I can chew - I am trying to make decisions that will result in healthy, happy fish.

So yes, putting a third tang in my tank didn't work out. Some on this forum said it could be done, numerous members of my local reef club shared positive experiences. I didn't show up at the LFS, say "Wow! That one's pretty" and then take it home.

Anyway, that's more than you probably want to hear. And yes, I only have one account. Not sure what that discussion is about. I'm not trying to hide anything - again, my thought was that posting in the "newbie" section would result in less harsh replies.

And my "rant" about the selfishness of the hobby - that is something I struggle with. I've always loved marine creatures, but there is a definite trade-off to taking part in this hobby:
http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/aquarium-fish-death.html#cr (about 80% of all marine fish die even before they are sold).

I have decided to take part in a hobby where millions of fish die, who would not otherwise - and so have you. Think about that before you cast stones at me. I avoid Petco and other stores that don't follow good business practices. I support a local store where the owner is a former marine biologist who tries to get captive-bred fish whenever he can, and stocks healthy fish. So BrianD, your comment is not well taken. Things happen in this hobby; I'm sure you've all lost dozens of fish. I have lost one.

My plan going forward is to add a wrasse or two, maybe some chromis or an anthias.

Had I known that beautiful naso tang would have died, I would never have gotten it. It really did break my heart (and my young son's - he cried. We buried it in the front yard).

Sorry about your loss; I feel for you Brett. Everyone is throwing stones at you and that did not save the poor fish or your son from crying. I think everyone needs to be more patient and understanding with one another as learning comes the hard way sometimes.

MMacro
11/07/2014, 06:09 PM

I understand that you are still new to the hobby but even after people are telling you that two tangs in a 3 foot 90 gallon tank is still too much, you still want to add more fish. First, I would find the tangs a better home and accept that you will not be able to keep tangs. Then, once the tank has settled down, buy some new fish.

Dino
11/08/2014, 05:28 AM
[Snip...]

Don't view all of this as an attack, but unfortunately many of the people that have replied to your threads (myself included) have seen dozens of newbies many times over that generally follow the same path that you seem to be on :). The newbie gets a new tank, starts stocking it straight away too soon and too fast with fish that can't be sustained long term in their tank. When the newbie is advised of their mistakes they go on the defense, usually throwing out that they'll keep what they want and they'll just trade in their fish when they grow too big (big fish are a LOT harder to get rid of than most would like to believe; also big fish tend to get big fast), or that they're planning to upgrade tanks in just a few months (very rarely happens, life just likes to get in the way of big expensive upgrades).

It usually goes one of two ways, preferably they wake up and start realizing that those other folks might know what they're talking about. They get some thick skin, realize they've made some errors, build from it and soak in all the info they can. Or, some shift into denial mode and usually within months after several tank disasters get frustrated and eventually give up on the hobby :(.

With all that said, you really need to start looking for a new home for the blue tang. It may be "tiny" right now, but provided its healthy it won't stay that way long. 90g may seem big but for a fish that can get to the size of a football its not. BrianD, the guy that posted right after me used to have one in a 500 gallon tank. It made even that size of tank look small :). A 3ft 90 isn't the most ideal tank for a yellow tang either, but its not terrible either. The blue definitely needs to go though, as well should not add any more fish immediately since this tank is only about a month old according to your past posts. While it may have been setup for sometime before it would have gone though at least some sort of cycle.

mcozad829
11/08/2014, 10:25 AM
brett559,

I applaud you for staying on this forum, a lot of people get their mistakes pointed out and just quit posting because they don't like the ridicule. If you listen to the advice given I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in this hobby, if you don't you will waste a lot of money. Just keep in mind that while some replies may seen like personal attacks they are mostly constructive criticism. That is what this forum is all about, sharing the knowledge of our hobby. Just remember that minimum tank sizes come from experience and not how we guess "the fish feels". If you have any questions that I may be able to help you with feel free to message me, sometimes solving a problem without broadcasting it to the world can be an easier pill to swallow. Best of luck to you and your tank!

brett559
11/08/2014, 03:41 PM
Thank you. I'll take you up on that for sure!

Teenreefer15
11/08/2014, 04:04 PM
try out different foods

Teenreefer15
11/08/2014, 04:04 PM
try some different foods

Teenreefer15
11/08/2014, 04:07 PM
try feeding him different foods. maybe he needs time to adapt to your tank

MMacro
11/08/2014, 07:17 PM
try feeding him different foods. maybe he needs time to adapt to your tank

Read the posts.

fishhuman
11/08/2014, 07:58 PM
Now that you got rid of the naso( whether it was alive or dead when you removed it) you work on getting rid of the blue, they truelly do grow giant and also wide. They are also just unhealthy fish to begin with and most of the large ones I've seen have grown ugly when they get big. If you ever run into this problem again( hopefully with a more tank size appropriate fish) try live black worms you can find them at a fishing store.

fishhuman
11/08/2014, 08:03 PM

Well i found this comment very ignorant. How can you say that it's rude for people to be calling out on something you were warned about many times.

SteelGluer
11/08/2014, 08:08 PM
What did the Naso tang say to the other 4 tangs in a 3ft aquarium ITS A MADHOUSE I TELL YOU A MADHOUSE.

brett559
11/08/2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll take "ignorant" - I've been called a lot worse right here the last few days..... :)

ReeFreak1
11/09/2014, 04:32 PM
I can't believe this keeps going on and on.:deadhorse: The Naso is gone and lesson learned the hard way. End of story in this thread. Give the guy a break already.