PDA

View Full Version : Avast Marine Kalk Stirrer

firemountain
11/06/2014, 04:36 AM
Everyone, i am looking into the Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer. While I know that guys usually just add Kalk it to their ATO, my ATO is in routed through floors and walls. Hence, I want to keep my ATO lines clean, as well as the Litermeter3 tubing from prematurely getting clogged. Thus the reason for looking into a reactor.

Does anyone have the Avast Marine Kalk K1 stirrer.....and if so how do you like it?? I have the Avast ATO and really like their products.

If anyone out there has another Kalk Stirrer that they use, I would really appreciate your feedback.

dartier
11/06/2014, 05:32 AM
I have a K1 that I assembled from one of their kits. it has been on my tank for a few months. Works fine. Good quality for the price.

The one change that I made when assembling it, was rather than using the hose barb that came with it for the output, I glued a union on so that I can use PVC pipe and still remove the drain easily for cleaning (of the main unit).

Dennis

Tweaked
11/06/2014, 05:34 AM
See mine here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2455017

dfm34
11/06/2014, 05:40 AM
I have one works great. I do have to clean the output line every few months because of build up but that is not a product defect.

RocketEngineer
11/06/2014, 08:37 AM
I've been running mine for about two years now:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/RocketEngineer/8-4-14011_zps07acdc69.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/RocketEngineer/media/8-4-14011_zps07acdc69.jpg.html)
It just got emptied in the pic. I clean mine about every 4-6 months.

My only issue with them is I feel the outlet is too low. I had to put mine on a "stand" to get it over the rim of my sump. Otherwise it's been working just fine.

firemountain
11/06/2014, 12:38 PM
Awesome!! I have no question about their quality. My sump area is very tight, so I have to figure out how to set it up in my cabinet. I was not thrilled about adding another reactor, but with my ATO lines running up from the basement and through the walls, I just feel better about keeping those components (like the water storage container, lines, and the peristaltic pump) free and clear.

I am going need to shift my sump in the cabinet to make accommodations. With a small tank like a 65g, I think that dosing Kalk with using reef salt will be enough for me to keep my levels good for a long time.

While on the subject.....what's the best place to have the Kalk solution enter the sump.....in the return section, or in the main area, downstream of the filter sock and/or a future in sump skimmer??

dartier
11/06/2014, 09:44 PM
While on the subject.....what's the best place to have the Kalk solution enter the sump.....in the return section, or in the main area, downstream of the filter sock and/or a future in sump skimmer??

I recommend somewhere that you have your highest flow. The high PH can precipitate magnesium sulfate out of you water column and having good flow helps to re-dissolve it quickly.

Denns

SnowManSnow
11/06/2014, 09:55 PM
i had one a long time..
its a solid unit. go ahead w it

firemountain
11/06/2014, 11:42 PM
I recommend somewhere that you have your highest flow. The high PH can precipitate magnesium sulfate out of you water column and having good flow helps to re-dissolve it quickly.

Denns

Ok....cool. Thanks. I have heard guys not wanting to place it in the return section near the pump due to the kalk precipitating out and clogging up the internal components of the pump.

firemountain
11/07/2014, 03:49 AM
In regards to operating the K1 stirrer....I was wondering if someone could help me out.

My evaporation rate is somewhat inconsistent (especially in the winter) due to running forced hot air in my home, as well as running a dehumidifier in my basement where my ATO is located. This is the main reason I want to use the K1 vs. adding Kalk to my ATO. As of now my evap. Rate is approx. 1/2 to 3/4 gallon a day.

I noticed that sometimes my Avast ATO will run more than once a day. Out of concern for dosing too much kalk, and not really knowing how much kalk to add to the reactor for starters, I was considering to buy a 1/4 inch line splitter for my ATO. That way when my ATO kicks on, 1/2 the water from my container would feed the K1 stirrer, while the other 1/2 would get dumped into my return section where my Avast ATO is located. I know the aforementioned is a bit uncommon, but I just thinking out loud.

OR.....is it just easier to only add a little bit of Kalk to the reactor, and see how my readings are when I test every few days. I looked at the Avast's recommendation chart for adding kalk to the reactor based on evap., but I am just concerned that with my ATO going on more than once a day, that I will be adding too much kalk.

Maybe I am over thinking/complicating this, but this will be my first time dosing Kalk....so just trying to play it cautious.

dartier
11/07/2014, 05:37 AM
I have the same issue being in a northern climate (varying rates of evaporation). What I did is feed the K1 from a peristaltic pump from my controller set to dose less than my maximum evaporation at the lowest point of the year (summer). My ATO makes up the rest and just adds plain RODI.

This way the amount of Kalk added is constant and predictable. My K1 adds 2.4L per day. I make up the difference required using 2-part.

Dennis

firemountain
11/07/2014, 10:01 AM
I have the same issue being in a northern climate (varying rates of evaporation). What I did is feed the K1 from a peristaltic pump from my controller set to dose less than my maximum evaporation at the lowest point of the year (summer). My ATO makes up the rest and just adds plain RODI.

This way the amount of Kalk added is constant and predictable. My K1 adds 2.4L per day. I make up the difference required using 2-part.

Dennis

That actually sounds like a better plan...using a separate dosing pump to keep things predetermined and predictable. I guess this is where the controller (which I don't have as of yet) comes in handy.

Do u have the K1 on an Apex or something like the Litermeter3 system. I use a basic Litermeter 3 dosing pump connected to my Avast ATO, and really like it....plus you can't beat the 5 year warranty.

dartier
11/07/2014, 12:50 PM
I have the K1 on a ReefAngel controller set to come on for 15 seconds every 30 minutes. The pump I use is from ReefAngel and is a 200ML/min peristaltic pump.

My ATO pump is quite noisy, but is good at keeping a steady flow even when the RO/DI resevoir gets low. You can buy the same pump from various online vendors (E.g. Grey Beard, Chinese vendors, etc.).

If you don't have a controller, you an accomplish the same thing with a digital timer. Just be careful to get a good quality one and test all programming changes thoroughly.Having a timer stay energized longer than expected can be very bad when dealing with very high or very low PH additives.

Dennis

garyinco
11/07/2014, 04:51 PM
I have had one running for about three months. Like you, my water storage is in my basement and I use a Litermeter (really old one) to pump. It's on a 100 gallon tank. I like the K1 and it is very easy to refill. I agree with everything others have said. I had to raise mine 3/4" to get it over the sump wall.

dartier
11/07/2014, 07:07 PM
I have had one running for about three months. Like you, my water storage is in my basement and I use a Litermeter (really old one) to pump. It's on a 100 gallon tank. I like the K1 and it is very easy to refill. I agree with everything others have said. I had to raise mine 3/4" to get it over the sump wall.

That seems to be a common theme. I have mine on a upside down glass food storage bin to be a 1.5" platform to clear the sump. If you have an 16-17" high sump (E.g. 40 B), you will need to raise the K1.

Dennis