PDA

View Full Version : skimming question

Jritter02
11/07/2014, 11:53 AM
I'm fairly new to the saltwater world. I got a "cyclone skimmer" yesterday from someone I picked up some power heads from. My question is....if you hook a pump up to it to push water into the skimmer, how do you make it produce bubbles if youre not sucking air in thru the pump?

mcgyvr
11/07/2014, 05:12 PM
not sure what the "cyclone skimmer" is but on "typical" skimmers the inlet of the pump has a "venturi" on it that has a small piece of tubing that attaches to the venturi and you keep the other end above water.. the water going past pulls air in through the tube.

Jritter02
11/07/2014, 05:41 PM
By cyclone I meant the skimmers without milestones. I have a small skimmer for my nano and it uses and air stone and is almost useless. I'm,guessing you can't use a regular power head for a skimmer....unless you rig up a venturi for it?

mcgyvr
11/07/2014, 06:05 PM
By cyclone I meant the skimmers without milestones. I have a small skimmer for my nano and it uses and air stone and is almost useless. I'm,guessing you can't use a regular power head for a skimmer....unless you rig up a venturi for it?

yes you need a way to bring in air..
airstone skimmers can work very well too.