PDA

View Full Version : Return UV Pump

Scubaken
11/08/2014, 04:40 AM
I am currently running a corallife 12 uv burner attached to a 600 gallon per hour pump, I was considering using the 600 gallon per hour pump as my return pump to my DT from my sump and leaving the UV burner "inline" would this be advantageous or even worth while ? Does 600 gallons per hour give the burner an opportunity to kill anything harmful or is the flow to much anyway ? My current set up just recycles flow through my sump.
This change would remove a 6000gph return pump which I believe is over rated for my 350 fowlr DT. What are your thoughts guys, I also run 2 jaebo WP60s in the tank and have 400lbs LR and 120 Lbs live sand.

Tweaked
11/08/2014, 06:23 AM
Wow first off your going from a 6000gph to a 600gph on your 350g display, crazy. 600 will be no where near enough, no?

On the 16x UV, looking at specs they recommend like 400 - 900. 900 being more for algae blasting, and 400 more for bacteria/parasites. Also what pump is the 600gph. Only reason I ask, is the rating is at the pump, not with tubing, head height, bends, etc. taken into account.

Scubaken
11/08/2014, 08:38 AM
I ran the pump before for the same purpose with a smaller uv filter and a 93 cube.
Can I increase the flow through tank using the power heads and use the 600 GPH simply to take the water back through the sump/refugium/filter socks.
Lowering the flow would also take off some of the changes on the filtersocks as the flow going through them would be lower.
If not 600 GPH what would be the lowest I could go to ? I get that I need a decent flow for corals, but fowlr I thought was a much lower requirement.

My stock list right now is
1 adult emporer Angel
1 large regal tang
1 tomini tang
1 1 coral beauty
1 chocolate tang
1 yellow tang
4 clowns (2 orange white/2black white)
1 Adult copperband
1 adult black back butterfly
1 clown wrasse (almost changed color now)
1 leopard wrasse
1 fairy wrasse
1 cleaner wrasse
1 diamond head goby
10 Chromis blue
2 fire fish