PDA

View Full Version : Cyano is covering and killing my chaeto.

Curt Boswelll
11/08/2014, 05:52 AM
There is very low flow in my sump and I don't want the cyano to kill off my chaeto(portions of it are turning brown).

Would rinsing it in tap water be okay or should I rinse it in old tank water? My display has a lot more flow right now so would putting the chaeto in there help keep it alive?

My tank has been up for about 3 months.

Redman88
11/08/2014, 06:07 AM
For more flow for your Cheto put a power head in that sump chamber.

Curt Boswelll
11/08/2014, 06:16 AM
My sump is actually open because of how small it is. So there aren't any chambers.

Kearnel
11/08/2014, 06:34 AM
You can still put a small powerhead in there, just rig it somehow so it's moving water. My set up I used for chaeto wasn't in my sump but rather a separate container all together, it is pretty small as well. It would get dead spots and nuisance algae would grow so I tossed a small powerhead in and all was good. I don't use chaeto anymore because it just wasn't benefiting anything due to being such a small amount on a large tank. Chaeto tank is now a prison for trouble makers.

Sk8r
11/08/2014, 09:51 AM
Just roll the ball over to put the cyano on the bottom. What are you doing for light in that chamber?

Teenreefer15
11/08/2014, 10:19 AM
pick up some chemi clean (http://www.amazon.com/Chemiclean-Cyano-Bacteria-Remover-Treatment/dp/B001EUG8PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415467118&sr=8-1&keywords=cyano+bacteria) to get rid of the cyano. Its better to let your tank fight it off but if you really want to save that chaeto this is the way to go.