PDA

View Full Version : BRS gfo and carbon reactor or something else?

Curt Boswelll
11/08/2014, 08:12 AM
Should I get one if the BRS gfo &carbon reactors? Or something else? I have a mini jet 606 that I could use on it?

Curt Boswelll
11/09/2014, 03:01 PM
Any opinions?

goldslinger
11/09/2014, 03:34 PM
I'm a newby Myself, and I have had my BRS combo unit running Their GFO and Bitimus Carbon. LOVE IT!

Complete and installs in minutes. No mess changing. Does what it claims to; my phosphates are 0. I change the carbon every two weeks when I do a water change, the GFO I test for and see when it needs it. Supposed to be good for a good month or so; depends on a lot of factors.

I seldom have to 'tweak' it, but glance at the flow on it daily. I have it in the return area of My sump for the cleanest water and fewest bubbles possible. I put the return hose pointed an inch away from the return pump inlets.

I have only had it a Month, but NO leaks, very ruggedly built. I hung it above My sump a couple of feet.

My 2 cents.

firemountain
11/09/2014, 03:48 PM
Spectrapure Dual Reactor...it has independent flow controls

Curt Boswelll
11/09/2014, 05:39 PM
Would you think a mini jet 606 would work on it?

Mykro
11/09/2014, 06:57 PM
I just installed my reactor yesterday... From BRS... With the pump... Works great easy to install and the pump is quiet... Did my first water change yesterday and bought my first two pieces of coral... :wavehand:

formsix
11/09/2014, 07:08 PM
I seldom have to 'tweak' it, but glance at the flow on it daily. I have it in the return area of My sump for the cleanest water and fewest bubbles possible. I put the return hose pointed an inch away from the return pump inlets.

haha, we set up ours today and decided on the exact same placement of the unit and return hose. It seemed logical, but it's nice to read that you had the exact same idea.

Our tank has been up and running for 7 months and I decided it was time to start trying to bring the phosphates down (I overfeed, I'm sure). I bought the dual reactor from BRS with the pump, the high quality GFO, and ROX carbon. It seemed easy to set up (my partner in crime worked on that part) and nothing crazy has happened to the tank in the last 6 hours. Can't really endorse it yet, but I bought it because it seemed like a solid choice.

JoelA7
11/09/2014, 09:47 PM
Suggest always using units which can have flow adjusted individually.

Chitownpw
11/16/2014, 04:31 PM
I've been running this reactor system for the past couple of months and I've been having issues with the unit. I wanted to mount it outside of my sump, but the fittings were leaking. I placed it in my sump in what should be refugium. during my most recent change of GFO and Carbon, both the GFO and Carbon were solid blocks.

I'm looking for alternatives at this point. Suggestions?

Jeff210
11/16/2014, 05:11 PM
I have a separate BRS reactor and pump for GFO and carbon...that way I can regulate the flow to each. I have it pulling from and returning to the return section of my sump. I change the carbon bi-weekly and the GFO monthly. I have never had an issue with clumping - in fact, I find them very easy to maintain and change media...very happy with them...

Regarding the pump...check the BRS web site for the pump that you can buy along with the reactor and compare specs...if they are comparable you're good. Keep in mind, however, that you will probably have to restrict the flow into the GFO (the unit comes with ball valves so you can adjust flow) as you don't want it swirling all over or it will grind itself to bits...

JoelA7
11/16/2014, 07:43 PM
While there are a number of separate reactor or media brands (and I'm sure many are good) I chose the Vertex 1.5L units due to their flexible and standard plumbing, for either PVC or hose bib, and also sizing. I use 3/4 hose. They are shipped with inlet side ball valves integrated in the housing so regulating throughput is a snap. Internally there is an adjustable plate to secure media in place if you don't want it to tumble.

On my rig I have two outlets drilled in the wall of the sump's return chamber, one to the return pump, one to another pump which after a T drives flow independently to each reactor. Working flawlessly thus far. Only downside is the units are on the more expensive side but I hope they will last many many years.

MorganAtlanta
11/16/2014, 07:49 PM
You can mix the carbon and GFO in the same reactor. I use 2/3 carbon and 1/3 GFO. You'll have to figure out the ratio and amount that works for you so they run out about the same time. The carbon keeps the GFO from clumping so you don't have to tumble it and can run it in a single reactor.

Dapg8gt
11/16/2014, 07:55 PM
I personally wouldn't mix carbon and gfo in same reactor as they need different flow rates. Gfo should tumble and carbon should not.

If your set on a dual unit spectrapure dual unit is way better adjustability wise.

Zer0.
11/16/2014, 08:24 PM
I just run a aquamaxx reactor off my return line for carbon and that's all

itzonlithai
11/16/2014, 08:45 PM
I personally wouldn't mix carbon and gfo in same reactor as they need different flow rates. Gfo should tumble and carbon should not.

If your set on a dual unit spectrapure dual unit is way better adjustability wise.

I get why GFO should tumble, but why is it bad for the carbon to tumble? Does it grind easier than GFO does? Will a flow that barely moves the carbon around but keep the GFO from clumping be OK when using both in the same reactor

goldslinger
11/16/2014, 09:15 PM
I get why GFO should tumble, but why is it bad for the carbon to tumble? Does it grind easier than GFO does? Will a flow that barely moves the carbon around but keep the GFO from clumping be OK when using both in the same reactor

One of the reasons I chose the BRS is that it has pads to keep the carbon tight and I like the way the water flows through. Carbon, if allowed to tumble would soon be dust in Your tank; way too soft. You only want GFO to surface tumble. The slight tumbling just prevents clumping, that's the only reason. If GFO didn't have a tendancy to clump, You wouldn't have to tumble it at all.

explorer07
11/16/2014, 09:31 PM
I have the BRS dual reactor on a rio 800 and love it l. My tank is super clear and everyone is happy.

garyinco
11/16/2014, 10:46 PM
Yes, carbon will grind up much, much easier than GFO. When you run both you don't want to tumble at all. Mixing, as stated earlier at 2:1, carbon:GFO - the GFO is mixed thruout the carbon and never gets a chance to clump. You need to fix it where the whole mix doesn't tumble at all. The downside of that strategy is the carbon will expire much quicker then the GFO will.

Keeping fresh carbon works much better than stale. GFO is not cheap and it kinda hurts to be discarding it when you know it still has some usefulness in it.

The BRS unit comes with some foam disks you can use to keep a mixture near the top of the inner chamber and it won't tumble and destroy the carbon particles. Watch the videos on their website. I think they did a fine job putting the unit together.

I use a couple of them on different tanks. I prefer straight GFO because I have carbon elsewhere. I also use the high capacity GFO. I feels it works much better than the regular. Over the long run I don't feel it costs more due to the extended runtime and using only half as much.